maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Mapping

Show Profile  addison Posted: 4 December 2006, 11:58 PM  
Because its hip to be square?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 December 2006, 6:59 AM  
I've worked on a number of maps where a previous drawer appears not to have known about curves. Possibly it was someone without much experience who made a few changes. But in many cases its faster to change the old object to (say) a purple temporary line and draw anew. And I suspect you can follow your template better when drawing anew than when editing.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 6 December 2006, 2:43 PM  
I cannot understand why draft people use the freehand drawing mode.
I come from a graphic back ground and we never use the freehand mode
only the curve mode. It is far easier to use and much faster to make corrections.

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 7 December 2006, 9:02 AM  
My entire OCAD experience is one street map for the Winter Street Series earlier this year. I started off with good intentions of using the curve mode (for contours; the roads were mostly straight) but found it frustratingly non-intuitive to my amateur eyes and reverted to the - quicker for me - freehand mode.

Comparing the street map with the park map that part of it was copied from, there can be no doubt that the curve mode contours of the park map (Craigavon) look far more natural and aesthetically appealling. Is there a tutorial or similar document easily accessible anywhere to the part time mapper?

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 7 December 2006, 9:21 AM  
Your club should have got a printed handbook when they purchased ocad. This has quite a comprehensive section on how to draw curved lines. Basically, practise makes perfect. Scan a old map and start tracing, you'll soon get good at it. My advice is to never never never use freehand.

The help thing in ocad itself has quite good intructions too.

This message was edited by Marquita G on 7 December 2006, 5:23 PM

This message was edited by Marquita G on 7 December 2006, 6:01 PM

Show Profile  addison Posted: 10 December 2006, 7:16 AM  
Dare I say it, I believe Freehand is the best mode available using OCAD. Infact I believe so strongly, I am contemplating asking the makers of OCAD to get rid of curve mode because thats just taking the 'art' out of it.

Whilst making the map for the world booze-o championships I only use freehand. This is because I have to put myself into the competitors shoes and I believe they will interpret the map better like this.

Its all about adaption to your target audience!

Jamie the reason you missed that adventure race was because you were mastering the art of freehand wasn't it?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 10 December 2006, 7:48 AM  
I think secretly he was scared of Neil and Tim showing him up or more importantly Fiona.

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 10 December 2006, 1:54 PM  
Wow! Using Freehand. That's so advanced. I'm still struggling with curve mode. I expect OCAD-10 should have brain electrodes through a USB2 port so I can draw mouse-free and leave my hands free to train for the booze-o champs Simon refers to.

Show Profile  olde codger Posted: 18 December 2006, 9:56 AM  
To Robbie,RE 6 Oct. Strange I seem to remember a $6000+ a/c for the 1995 NZ Champs, which was your first serious effort at mapping.Correct me if I'm wrong. Mr & Mrs Olde Codger served their apprenticeship by working on 7 club maps for free, including the 1980 Auck Champs and the 1983 NZ champs before we charged CMOC half price mug rates. It was after 1995 that we charged the club the commercial going rate that we charged other clubs.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 December 2006, 5:21 AM  
Google Earth has proved to be really useful for small sprint-scale maps where getting hold of airplane-photography is not warranted. Anyone else doing so?

I'm using "save image" which I use as a template in OCAD. But sometimes I'm pushing the bounds of the resolution to see building edges, distinguish the tall trees from their shadows, etc. That's to be accepted. But I seem to be able to make out more detail viewing in Google, or viewing a printout, than I can viewing the file as a template in OCAD. Anybody got any advice to improve the template?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 23 December 2006, 11:52 AM  
I've tried it using the images but find them out of date, especially given the rapid development occuring around here (estimated pop. growth of 40000 in 10 years)

I copy aerial shots and then merge them together in Freehand to get a template, which can then be saved at any resolution

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 December 2006, 5:00 PM  
Yes Google is coy about saying what its updating arrangements are, and it will vary according to the importance it places on gaining an income out of it all. But some I can tell are under 2yrs, and for others a 5yr photo may be quite OK.

When you say aerial shots Martin, do you mean conventional photos which you scan? Lets talk about all source of aerial photos. Though I'm still interested in Google resolution cos its available at a moment's notice.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 24 December 2006, 3:10 AM  
Why would you ever use Freehand Martin?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 24 December 2006, 4:05 AM  
when i say aerial shots i mean a photo from the air. in this case images from google earth

the age looks to be in line with the aerial shots available from the council (which i get in digital format so they're free, high res. anyway)

nice neil. macromedia freehand though

Show Profile  addison Posted: 24 December 2006, 9:26 AM  
Announcing: "The Forwarding it for Freehanders Organisation"

For all inquiries please email the Secretary-General Mr MMOM at Mohenui_Man_Of_Mystery@Freehanders.org

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz