maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Mapping

Show Profile  Magnum Posted: 5 October 2006, 3:12 AM  
Is it long enough after the event ...? You just have to sit back and wait, and it will come. Why is there so much criticism regarding maps in this country. Yes some people do have some eyesight issues but why should that effect everyone else. For those who can't read the White Lightening map then maybe Orienteering isn't suitable for runners who have severe problems. When the world ran on 1:15000 maps, NZ used 1:10000. Now 1:10000 is more common globally, is little ol NZ going to make 1:7500 the norm? Are we trend setters or just held at ransom to those who can't see. The symbols look huge on White Lightening, in fact the knolls look too big in the detailed areas if anything, It doesn't seem right when some huge knolls 10m apart on the ground are represented by large dot symbols which touch each other on the map. (Can we debate a good recommendation to solve that sort of problem)
More encouragement and possitive comments to mappers and cartographers who try hard to produce good quality maps might be a more appropriate means of improvement and way to sustain the ability to find people willing to make maps of good quality.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 5 October 2006, 11:30 AM  
To olde codger
Re waiuku map thousand clearings
You state "faint clearings were mapped for the sake of justify a JOB
All mapping I do for the club is free of charge. I dont map to justify a job. If depressions or kholls are to small the planner should not use them for control sites. And the controller should ensure they are not used.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 October 2006, 1:01 PM  
I withdraw and apologise for yesterday's posting about symbol size on "White Lightning". I thought that my measurements of the U depression suggested a general undersizing and am happy to learn there was not. Now I'm off to a nearby shop for those glasses...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 October 2006, 1:21 PM  
I've been grappling with using NZ Map Grid coordinates and LINZ orthophotos as a way of providing a framework for map extensions or joining maps together. And removing distortions caused by less than perfect joins in the past, which have led to fudges at overlaps or underlaps. If there's anyone else who has done this I wouldn't mind a chat at the Wgtn Champs at Labour Weekend - one of the evenings - at Wanganui somewhere. RSVP to michael.wood (at) mapsport.co.nz.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 20 November 2006, 1:00 AM  
The new version of the sprint mapping specification, ISSOM 2007 has now been published and is valid from 01 JAN 2007.
It can be found on the IOF mapping page.
Comments about the new specification with pictures and drawings can be found on >http://www.soenniksen.dk/sprintkort/<; (Danish and English version)
There appears to be very few changes.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 20 November 2006, 5:19 AM  
Michael its been long enough since Wellington Champs what was wrong with their maps??

There was something, it was the exact same problem with the SI champs maps, and so easy it fix.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 21 November 2006, 11:56 PM  
Greg, what was the problem with the maps? Let's have the details so we can get the problem fixed.

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 22 November 2006, 1:18 AM  
I know of one issue with the WOA champs maps - some of the point symbols (knolls, small depressions) are not the correct size for 1:10000. Theyre actually in between 1:10000 and 1:15000 size.
We recently merged all the maps of the area (now about 40 sq km) and in doing so discovered some variation between each map. Basically we got the merged map back to what it was for the World Masters - which had the incorrect symbol size (but i believe they had a dispensation to do so??).
anywhoo - changing the symbols to proper size is easy enough - but then the whole map would need a re-fieldwork to get rid of those point features which really are too small to be on the map.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 22 November 2006, 2:00 AM  
Nothing major, but there were no Index contours.

Didn't think much of it until you look at maps with them and realise they do make it easier to reckonise shapes easier

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 22 November 2006, 3:26 AM  
Hmm - you're right - no index contours.
There dont seem to be any on the original Marangai map.
Then again the old map probably didn't have enough climb for any to be any relevance. The new bits by the river certainly need them.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 22 November 2006, 7:19 AM  
The original Waikaia map never had index contours. The index contour thing was published in the event information for the SI Champs.
You may think this is a simple thing to fix but if you examine the
contours closely you will find a number of contours (about 12) have been terminated in the middle of the map mostly at cliffs or in steep gullies to make it less noticeable. This makes it difficult but not impossible. Bruce McLeod once produced a Waikaia map with index contours. We have used the Waikaia map for 17 years and I have never before heard anyone complaining about the missing index contours.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 22 November 2006, 8:34 AM  
The WMOC maps were produced before the ISOM 2000 standard was official - the previous standard allowed reductions of up to 20% for symbol sizes for special cases for clarity.

The current standard does allow an ordinary contour to be used instead of an index contour in areas of complex detail.

The reasons for excluding index contours for the WMOC maps were:
- the height difference over the maps was minimal ( < 20-50m )
- areas of detailed spaghetti knolls and depressions would look funny with index contours and harder to read
- a few steep areas would be better with index contours but the index contours would have to be extended to the extensive flat areas and the maps would end up less clear

If you can dig up the old Phoebe's Lake map you can see what I mean - it has index contours but in the complex sanddune areas it is less clear and a hindrance.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 November 2006, 3:21 AM  
Greg wrote, Michael its been long enough since Wellington Champs...

I've been away mapping. Among other things the job requires increasing the symbol size to specification. Then as Alan says you have to deal with the symbols that now blur into each other. Many subliminal knolls and depressions can be simply deleted, but it does require fieldwork.

The question is, how many years will we give ourselves to bring our A-level maps into line?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 4 December 2006, 2:19 PM  
i'd encourage people to use the curve mode more frequently when drawing!!! the curves come out heaps better. i've converted a few maps to ISSOM & its a pain having to constantly tidy things up.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 4 December 2006, 11:16 PM  
Why would you use anything other than the curve mode when drawing curved lines????

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz