maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Mapping

Show Profile  Nah Posted: 4 May 2006, 1:16 AM  
Nah!

You can ask, but it probably won't happen.

So Nah!

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 4 May 2006, 1:18 AM  
thats correct, he disqualified himself at the sprint race final at the european champs in 2004.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 May 2006, 4:46 AM  
Hmmm, sprints have their own specification, in which quite a few features are declared out of bounds. (While this is for good reason, the need for competitors to be aware of the sprint mapping specification is unusual and not widely known.)

So back to the "ordinary" mapping specification, any comment from those who have competed widely in Europe and Scandinavia about whether olive green is OK to run through? I accept that the specification doesn't disallow it; that was an assumption I made, since I don't like big areas of black stripe.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 4 May 2006, 6:43 AM  
i think the jwoc classic map last year had an olive green for the town. but i havent got the map in front of me so dont hold me to it.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 4 May 2006, 7:10 AM  
I know the old map definetly did, and I suspect the new one did too. Not too sure if they had mapped the buildings and things underneath it though.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 4 May 2006, 9:45 AM  
NZOF rules:
15.7 Competitors shall be told of any condition of the terrain which may affect the competition and which is not apparent from the map. The information shall be displayed at least one hour before the first start.

17.2 Out-of-bounds or dangerous areas, forbidden routes, line features that shall not be crossed, etc shall be described in the information and marked on the map. If necessary, they shall also be marked on the ground. Competitors may not enter, follow or cross such areas, routes or features.

From Relay Program:
Out of bounds areas: As indicated by tapes and signs.

If told that the symbol "527 settlement" is out of bounds, I see that as following the rules; you are told, it is marked on the map and it is normally obvious on the ground.

(As long as it announced or displayed at least 1 hour before start, which brings me to my old argument that any new information told at the pre-race briefing is not following the rules, nor is it complusary to attend that briefing or follow new instructions against the already published set)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 May 2006, 6:25 AM  
Interesting matters for another thread Greg. Now in terms of what I will do on my next non-sprint map containing residential areas, should I use olive green or those ugly black stripes?

Al, Jenni, your contributions from Europe and Scandinavia would be useful. Martin and Simon, you've told us that JWOC used olive green but not whether you could run through it.

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 5 May 2006, 6:37 AM  
MJW wrote: should I use olive green or those ugly black stripes?

Does making it clear for people who are colour blind make a difference? Olive green is just another shade of vegetation to them.

Im not colour blind, but I know someone in O who is.
Black stripes would be a lot more obvious

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 5 May 2006, 7:48 AM  
I have a heap of scandinavian maps in front of me some have olive green snd some have black stripes.The black stripes look more like a grey colour because the lines are very thin and close together and the streets stand out much better than in the olive green.
All the maps with olive green have all buildings shown including garden sheds. One map has several hundred buildings. The map where the black stripes has been used has no buildings shown but a later version of the same map has been changed to olive green and buildings has been added.
There is a link to a recent european map on OrienteeringOnline, a good example of the use of olive green.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 5 May 2006, 8:13 AM  
Technically Michael you use both. Olive green to show settlement and the black strip over that to show out of bounds.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 5 May 2006, 8:24 AM  
Read the mapping specification Greg!!!

I think the people who made the ISOM 2000 asumed thet everyone would know the word "Settlement" would mean "Private Property, Keep out"

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 5 May 2006, 9:00 AM  
I have and I quote

"527 Settlement
Houses and gardens and other built up areas."

528 Permanently out of bounds
Areas which are permanently forbidden to the runner are shown as out of bounds. The screen is superimposed on the nonrmal map detail."

No where does it state that settlements are out of bounds, and clearly states SUPERIMPOSED on the map detail (settlement being map detail)

Asumuption is the mother of all fuck ups.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 5 May 2006, 9:06 AM  
"svendp Posted: 3 May 2006, 8:44 PM
I have some comments regarding the relay map.
A large part of the map was residential area showing streets only and symbol 527 Settlement to fill in the areas between the streets.
We were told at the briefing that any area marked with this colour
was out of bounds and that the symbol was an official IOF out of bounds symbol or something to that effect.

Checking the the ISOM 2000, there is no indication that symbol 527
is an out-of-bounds symbol or forbidden area.

The mapping specification has two - and only two - out of bounds symbols (we are talking standard foot-o maps here, not sprint-o)
and symbol 527 in not one of them.
The symbol was included in the map legend but no mention of it being out of bounds.
If an area is out of bounds, is there any reason why symbol 528 or 709 should not be used? These two symbols are, after all, the only
two shown in the mapping specification as being out of bounds. " "

and....

"Svend Posted: 5 May 2006, 3:24 PM
Read the mapping specification Greg!!!

I think the people who made the ISOM 2000 asumed thet everyone would know the word "Settlement" would mean "Private Property, Keep out" "

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 5 May 2006, 10:41 AM  
The specifications clearky states that either you use olive green
+ buildings or black stripes and no buildings for settlement.
I presume you were just trying to be funny when suggesting using black stripes on top of olive green.

Show Profile  YeahYeahNah Posted: 5 May 2006, 10:42 AM  
Greg is carving you fullas up!

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz