maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

New Zealand Mountain Running champs

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 4 May 2005, 5:49 AM  
Check out the New Zealand Mountain Running champs on Sun 15th May at the following website: (entries still open)

http://www.mountainrunning.co.nz/nzchamps.html

It runs on the same course to be used for the World Champs in Sept.

There is a copy of the Mt Victoria Orienteering map on the website showing the course. I trust the organisers got permission to use the map from Wellington Orienteering Club?

Also, I wonder if any Orienteers are running? It is on the same day as WOA OY2. I'm sure that we could do very well if some of our elites ran.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 4 May 2005, 8:32 AM  
Unfortunately also same weekend as TWALK!!!

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 5 May 2005, 5:10 AM  
We gave Arthur Klapp a copy of the Mt Vic O map a few years ago when he was planning the last NZ champs (or something) there.

No problemo as far as WOC is concerned.

Theres also a couple of O maps on the Olympic Harriers site:
http://www.olympicharriers.org.nz/ClubRaces.php
Not sure were they got those from.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 May 2005, 11:02 AM  
Maps are our prime asset, if other people see value in them we should ask for a consideration for use of the intellectual property.

This might be money - Poneke Port Nicholson Cycling Club paid OHV's asking price for producing extracts from its Hutt Valley mapping, for their MTBO series last year.

Or it could be publicity. "Map supplied by XYZ orienteering club, for more maps like this link to ...." And of course you don't put printable-quality maps on your website.

Michael

Show Profile  addison Posted: 6 May 2005, 12:54 AM  
Sure maps are our prime asset, but they are only our prime asset for orienteering.

www.maptalk.co.nz
mailto:test@test.co.nz

Personally, the way that I feel is that if someone can get use out of a map (examples at the link above) and do say "Map supplied blah blah" then I think that is satisfactory. I would like to see orienteers come across as good people who are willing to help, not people who at every opportunity try to get money out of people all the time. Our sport is a friendly sport, so why not act friendly.

Sure if there is work involved to get the map up to the peoples requirements, then it would be acceptable to charge a cost pricing of the work that is needed to do that.

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 6 May 2005, 8:55 AM

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 4 September 2006, 11:42 PM

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz