maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Otago Champs

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 31 January 2005, 5:18 AM  
Looks like it will be a good event but,

Qoute from Champs booklet about the classic event "There will be NO water stations on courses. You are strongly recommended to take your own water with you, especially if you feel you will need water during your time up on the hill and during the race.
Note on the “no water” policy (as it is slightly controversial): It is recognised the “no water on course” policy adopted for this event is contrary to the standard orienteering practice. This is due to accessibility to the venue, the unknown quantities of water likely to be required (if you offer it and it runs out, that is probably worse than not offering), along with the availability of excellent personal back pack hydration systems (as used by athletes in numerous other outdoor events)."

Personally i think this is not really acceptable for a champ event like this, I'd much perfer they stick to the NZOF rules (drink stations every 30 min). I find a camel pack type thing quite annoying during an orienteering race and I don't think it is a viable alternative due to moving under and through terrain/forest etc rapidly. Quite different from mountain biking or trail running with one.

Should be a good event none the less, what do other people think about the water issue?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 31 January 2005, 12:12 PM  
When you say "for a champ event like this" the status of an event is not determined by the word "championship".

I haven't seen a booklet but the preliminary info doesn't make any mention of the event status so I presume it is B. A B-status event can make departures from the rules, and given the location this sounds like a sensible one to me.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 31 January 2005, 1:45 PM  
Actually I think this is rather unsensible. The area may be extremely hot and extremely dry at the time of the Otago Championships. Providing water is all part of sensible event management, where you must look at potential hazards (one being overheating) and take appropriate measures to minimise the identified hazards. Surely sticking to NZOF Policy on having water out on courses every 30minutes would be the sensible thing to do?

Are the organisers going to try to make everyone carry their own water, just as some events try to make everyone carry a whistle? A lot of orienteers find it hard enough to even manage a whistle, how are they going to take water.

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 31 January 2005, 9:46 PM

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 February 2005, 2:20 AM  
Theres nothing wrong with a bit of personal responsibility.

I wouldn't have an issue if this became standard practice at all including championship events...one less thing for overworked organisers to worry about...and from experience putting out and collecting water controls can often be the thing that breaks the camels back.

Whats fair is fair

Show Profile  darren Posted: 1 February 2005, 10:27 AM  
Yeah, Jamie I totally agree. I used to carry water around for long races and it was fine. I too wouldn't be bothered if it became commonplace for all events. No one would be able to moan about the water controls running dry and you could carry as much or as little as the conditions dictated.
With regards to the up coming event, as long as all competitors are aware before they turn up at the event, there should be no problems.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 1 February 2005, 2:39 PM  
I'd have to agree with organisers/Jamie, it actually makes it fair for everyone. Aswell as water running out, there is an unpredictibility at the moment as to when the drinks will occur (despite the 30min rule) and we often have drinks which aren't at a control and aren't even on the desired route choice... meaning one must gamble between the fastest way and a navigating to an optional control point (the drinks)

I understand that running with a drinks bladder may be cumbersome, but with a bit of practise I don't think you would notice it much...even through the green.

Simpler for organisers...fairer for athletes.
Sounds like a winner...good one Otago.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 2 February 2005, 2:36 AM  
I disagree with this. Drinks should be provided on the course. Making people carry their own drinks is a step in the wrong direction.

We should be encouraging more drink stops and asking for ones with Leppin and not expected to start to carry our own drink.

I can understand if South Islanders want to have events with no water but up in Auckland where they actually organise quality events I can't see it happening.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 2 February 2005, 2:55 AM  
I like drinks/water on the course,

and if they are provided prefer that they are placed at the controls rather than along optional routes. From my brief stints at planning/controlling, I would say that it is usually not too much hassle putting water out on the course. An alternative is to plan the courses so that they loop back through a common 'spectator' control where compeditors may leave their own water/etc.

Having said that, if various organisers are not able/prepared to provide water, I won't mind too much so long as I am well aware of that fact.

Also, 'A Grade' long distance events in NZ should be required to have water on the course (unless due to exceptional circumstances) so as to keep them in-line with major international events.

Finally, really looking forward to next weekend. Oh yes, Jamie's going to get his bottom kicked.

This message was edited by Chris Forne on 2 February 2005, 11:13 AM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 February 2005, 2:24 AM  
Some contributors are blurring two separate issues.

1. The NZOF rules are based on the IOF rules. Departures should be very carefully considered. We do not wish to be a strange little South Pacific backwater. The rules bind A-level events.

2. A B-level event being held on the top of a mountain with no vehicle access is a special case.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 3 February 2005, 4:44 AM  
I don't care what the rules say now. I care about debating the issue so that the rules can be what we want in the future.

And yes, I agree that at major championships and international competitions in NZ then we should provide water according to IOF standard...but it isn't necessary for all events....even for the soft jocks in Auckland.

Show Profile  monkey Posted: 13 February 2005, 12:53 PM  
After running the course i can defintely see why they didn't have water on the courses. There was a 30 min very steep walk just to get to the start from the carpark. No car could of made it up to the start and carring would by hand would of been difficult. most people seemed find carrying water, with many just drinking plenty before hand. It helped that the courses only took just over 1 hour and weather was mild.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz