maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Start clock at Oceania

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 18 January 2005, 9:43 AM  
Did anyone else have have trouble with the start clock at Oceania. It was set for race time not your call-up time.

I managed to miss my start on the 1st day, and Dave Shep did the same.

Does anyone know if there is a IOF or NZOF standard set for the start area?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 January 2005, 11:31 AM  
Seems that previous organisers have felt that competitors were unable to subtract 3 or 6 minutes from the time of day, and have got in the habit of advancing the clock at the pre-start. So that when someone followed the NZOF rules (see below) it caused a problem:-))

22.4 At the start, a clock showing the competition time to the competitors shall be displayed. If there is no pre-start, competitors’ names shall be called or displayed.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 January 2005, 11:34 AM  
It had a sign saying 'Race Time'

Show Profile  darren Posted: 18 January 2005, 12:46 PM  
I read that sign everyday while waiting for my start time! I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

This message was edited by darren on 18 January 2005, 9:17 PM

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 January 2005, 1:47 PM  
So the problem is not the clock, its you didn't know how long before your start time you were ment to be called up.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 18 January 2005, 2:18 PM  
True, the only problem was of course the 1st day when it didn't have a sign but a small bit of strapping tape stuck to the clock with the words 'Race Time'. I did notice this eventually but by then it was too late.

Also the start officals on this day were calling race numbers instead of names (rule 22.4?).

What would happen if someone protested at any of those previous events what were in brech of rule 22.4?

I'm not trying to make excuses, but just clarify what the correct procedure is to avoid confusion in the future (don't worry it wont be happening to me again).

I understand that Dave Shep protested with regard to the start procedure on the 1st day, part of the reason is because it wasn't clarified in the programme. Does anyone know if this was upheld?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 January 2005, 11:35 PM  
The protest was not upheld.

As Michael says, NZOF Rule (and the IOF Rules are the same) show the organisers have a responsibility to show competition time. The organisers fulfilled that responsibility.

Organisers are also meant to call out competitors names. Yes there is some doubt about whether this actually occured all the time but can't be proven (one way or the other). Brent, you say race numbers were called out but in my discussion with you that information was second-hand (you didn't hear anything from memory). Others have said names were called out.

Show Profile  mjd Posted: 19 January 2005, 4:27 AM  
"can't be proven" - geez, very trusting arn't you HH...

on the first day the person was calling competitor numbers when i was at the start. that is a fact. cheers

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 19 January 2005, 11:18 AM  
I would have missed my start but my name was called out, so for me the system worked.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz