maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Mobile O'....!

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 14 December 2004, 10:30 PM  
A new slightly weird type of orienteering: http://mobile-o.freeweb.hu/index_en.html Could maybe be good for the disabled...?

Show Profile  superOman Posted: 15 December 2004, 11:42 AM  
Trying that in NZ would be expensive, especially with the cellphone charges

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 December 2004, 6:10 PM  
Depends if we could interest Telecom and Vodafone in it. The urban rogaine needed bus and train travel, and Cityline and Tranz Metro provided it. And got good publicity from it.

Show Profile  DaveGlover Posted: 16 December 2004, 2:37 AM  
I remember many years ago helping out at a street event in Wellington which used cell phones (big clunky ones!) to report back the answers to questions about the control sites. It was part of the Corporate Challenge series. Good fun, the winner was decided before the runners returned to the finish! Great for a lunchtime event in the city, where people had limited time.

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 19 January 2005, 4:53 PM  
Thats just strange, Isn't Nokia from Scandanavia anyways. I think its a good idea though and can see its benefits. Why not just use walkie talkie/hand held radios. They normally have about a 3 to 5 km radius so someone could follow the "blind" on a bike or something.

Show Profile  zoltan Posted: 7 February 2005, 7:34 PM  
We tested walkie talkies (or pmr) also and found not very useful for mobile-o. The problem is: pmr operates at a relatively large frequency, where radio wave spreads only straightly. So if there are some buildings or a small hill in-between, the connection becomes very poor or you lose the connection completely. So mobile phones are much better! The problem is the cost of mobile phoning: we are now working on to find a mobile-phone company to sponsor this sport providing free sim cards for mobile-o competitions in my country (Hungary). Anyways, Nokia is from Finland, but the idea comes from Hungary and the first demo competitions were sponsored by Nokia in Hungary. I was very happy to find this forum on the net! I profit much from these talks, Zoltan Szlavik (mobile-o@fw.hu)

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz