maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

...and another little gripe of mine (sprint grades)

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 December 2004, 6:43 AM  
What's the point of offering 21A and 21E grades at races(almost always sprints) where they are on the SAME COURSE?! In countries where one has to qualify for elite status it makes sense, but here? My understanding is that 21AL is for people who are in the open age group but not able to compete over elite courses AND walk the next day, just as A Short grades exist for those who aren't fit enough for the A Long. If I could "adequately" complete the elite course in all races then I would do that. In the sprint races under discussion here, if I can "adequately" complete the M21A course, then by definition I'm able to run M21E. (sorry it's been a long week and these arguments just aren't coming out anywhere near as clear as they are in my head) I know some people out there are certificate hunters, but I'd rather be trying to break into the top 30 of a 40+ elite field than be reasonably confident of a place in a paltry M21A field, especially if the amount of orienteering required is going to be the same!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 11 December 2004, 7:18 AM  
With regard to 21A and 21E grades for the sprint event we are holding, we will be looking closely at the numbers and will have a bit of a chat about the possibility of putting 21A into 21E. Its just a possibility however. The M21A grade already has at least 5 entries anyhow.

A reminder for the elites to hurry up and enter. Just 9 days to go for these people! Also the entry date of 20th December is also valid for all others who dont want to pay a bit more for being late.

We are still waiting on a few people who have said they are fully supporting the event yet have not entered. It puzzles me in a way. Congratulations to Greg for being the first entry, and for getting off his ass and doing what he said he would do.

http://www.maptalk.co.nz/sprintrace/

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 11 December 2004, 8:45 AM  
I know of one instance where it would not be fair to have a person competing in M21E for the upcoming sprint, because they have just finished setting courses on the map, and have done some updating.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 11 December 2004, 10:05 AM  
on the note of the sprint-o, here's some stats:

australia 38 - very strange for an event in NZ to have more Aussies!
new zealand 31
finland 2
france 2
switzerland 1
norway 1

M18 ………….. 11
M21 ………….. 7
M21E ………….. 13
M40 ………….. 6
M55 ………….. 6
W14 ………….. 2
W18 …………..13
W21 ………….. 0
W21E ………….. 7
W40 ………….. 4
W55 ………….. 6

so get your entry in quick. http://www.maptalk.co.nz/sprintrace/

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 11 December 2004, 3:51 PM  
Sorry Simon

Fully supportive of the idea but can't get to NZ till friday night (have to work), so I will miss it. Originally I expected it would be on during the main part of the carnival.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 11 December 2004, 10:54 PM  
[Didn't realise that this topic existed when I commented in the other one]

21E, 21A, 21A-long, 21A-short should all be combined for short and sprint races. Only 21B & 21C should be separate as they should have a different level of difficulty. If there are too many runners for say a 2 minute start interval then maybe 21E could be separated from a 21A grade - would that ever happen in NZ?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 December 2004, 3:17 AM  
not when anyone enters until after everything has been sorted

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 12 December 2004, 6:39 AM  
Don't worry Simon, my entry's in the mail, my money is where my mouth is! (and yes I have entered M21E, the top class international field are shaking in their shoes... with laughter)

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz