maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  

Mapping

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 29 July 2010, 4:41 PM  
We could have done with that feature years ago Michael :-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 August 2010, 11:19 AM  
Several years ago I announced that I was using the brown cross symbol 118.0 for Geocache sites. Sort of following in the footsteps of topographic cartographers who are reputed to have drawn patches of bush in the shape of their initials etc. But this had a purpose in that looking for geocaches with a map is a test of its geo-referencing.

I've caught myself leaving these brown crosses inadvertently switched on so I think a better idea is to use a number in the 750-series of hidden symbols, evolved by discussion between some NZ mappers. After some consultation I'm going to use 753.9 for Geocache sites.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 7 August 2010, 4:41 PM  
Surely a geocache is a man-made feature and therefore should be black (cross)?. You could still use the same number(753.9) with a newly created black cross which can be switched on and off depending on its needs.

I know its for NZ but doesn't Oz use a brown cross for termite mound?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 August 2010, 12:51 PM  
I don't think we have (or need to) agree on the details of symbols designed to be hidden, the purpose is "symbol table housekeeping" and perhaps sharing ways of working. I use dots of different colours for waypoints, you probably use something else?

Yeah I think all those (visible) circle and cross symbols are for each country to decide. I dunno where those NZ decisions are documented (remember that Flock House meeting?)

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 8 August 2010, 4:09 PM  
I have the VHS tapes of that meeting.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 September 2010, 2:49 PM  
Came across an interesting blog kept by the mapper of a new area in Georgia, US. He's been going for a year and the job isn't finished yet. Not specially technical, more philosophical. http://samfsmith.com/chatbend/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 September 2010, 3:47 PM  
And here's a facebook page by a top mapper. Ales Hejna is a Czech who maps as "Olles Maps", he has mapped in NZ and he did the sprint map for WOC in Trondheim. http://www.facebook.com/ollesmaps.

Ales is on the IOF Mapping Commission, and one of his links is to the proceedings of the mapping conference at Trondheim. Three matters from that were interesting. 1. Some of the files were needlessly large, if someone wants to download the 39mb of the Danish paper please give me a summary 2. Several papers on LIDAR, a common thread being that its great but it encourages excessive contour detail 3. A summary of the revision of the ISOM. The "road map" says the second call for national submissions is happening about now with evaluation of them by the end of the year.

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 17 September 2010, 4:16 AM  
Have aerial surveys been performed here in NZ for mapping? I presume they would give substantially better info for mapping. Possibly not so good in forested areas but perhaps still useful for open areas and clearings. It also seems like they can do contours based on the photos.
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/smartplanes-unmanned-survey
http://www.smartplanes.se/

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 12 October 2010, 4:36 PM  
There is a new Service Update for OCAD10:

Changes in OCAD 10.04.00 (988) Service Update - 2010-10-11
============================================================
CHANGE Redrawing: Faster redrawing.
FIX Import OCAD Map: Ocad did not display the borderline of area symbols. Fixed.
FIX Export DXF: OCAD did not export the text alignment correctly if the option
'Export OCAD curves as DXF splines' was not selected. Fixed.
FIX Hide Map: Hide map did not work with all background maps were assigned to spot
colors. OCAD hidden also the background maps. Fixed.
ADD Shortcut: Shortcut for Edit -> To Polyline added.
FIX Edit: Find selected function did not work correctly in backwards mode ( used with
shift key).
FIX Database: If the ocad file is connected to a dataset with records but no ocad objects are linked, OCAD jumps to the first free key when opening the link object dialog.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 14 October 2010, 5:13 AM  
Yet another update to OCAD10 (10.4.1) - a few bugs now removed which were introduced in 10.4.0

Changes in OCAD 10.04.01 (991) Service Update - 2010-10-13
============================================================
FIX Symbol Editor: In some cases the color of the symbol elements were wrong. Fixed.
Bug introduced in Service Update 10.04.00 (988).
FIX Symbol Editor: Symbol elements were not visible when Graphic objects were hidden
(option in 'Symbol' menu). Fixed.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 November 2010, 8:57 AM  
Ales Hejna's Facebook wall refers to an article about printing technology in the digital age; based on experience with the maps for WOC 2010. http://www.facebook.com/ollesmaps. State of the art stuff.

Ales has also published a comparison between a "virtual map" of an island and a real orienteering map. His virtual map was made without going there, entirely from published materials such as aerial photos. Some top competitors are doing this before a competition. An interesting issue for the conscience.

On the IOF website are issues of the "Scientific Journal of Orienteering". Generally the papers are IMO opinion pretty useless. But there's a good overview paper on the state of orienteering mapping in Vol 17, by Laszlow Zentai, former chair of the iOF Mapping Committee. http://www.orienteering.org/index.php/iof2006/Document-Library/Publications/Scientific-Journal-of-Orienteering

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 15 November 2010, 5:42 AM  
How do others map 3-D on a 2-D map?

eg covered walkway crossing a gully with multiple features under it - bush, paths, large concrete area

- is there a precedence? Hard to decide when both levels could
be useful for navigation.
- does the lower or upper level override the other? A bridge
symbol shows only the upper level and no detail underneath. However, a bridge or building overhang high in the sky means the Orienteer may not even see these features.

What have others done?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 2 December 2010, 3:21 AM  
No answers to my question above? Ok, I'll muddle my way through as best I can.

On another topic, here's a film showing how it all was done - thank our lucky stars we don't have to scribe or draw with pen and ink anymore. I have to confess (showing my age), I have done most of the things shown in the film at various times.

The film was made in 1971 about map making:
http://www.ecasttv.co.nz/program_detail.php?program_id=1662&channel_id=60&group_id=68

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 2 December 2010, 4:38 AM  
yes Bryan, i remember you wearing tight flared slacks and slim fitting plain coloured shirts with big dracular collars.
Isn't it amazing how fast things change, incl speech. At first the advent of the digital age seemed terrible, seemingly removing the fine control and artistry skill in mapmaking, graphic art and typographic world. Most of what you learnt became obsolete soon after that. Patients was a virtue back in the day, it just looks like impossibly frustrating hard work now.
Nice find.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 2 December 2010, 6:27 AM  
Pity that our central government mapping agency has given up on the updating process - the topo contours are the same as you saw being made and at least around here the accuracy of manmade features is awful. I think they stopped when their last Trekka stopped running.

LIDAR has taken over for contours but it's commissioned piecemeal by local government and there's no central source of NZ elevation data. And local government doesn't seem to be in the business of general-purpose topographical mapping, I think they are primarily concerned with managing their assets.

If we all got together (central and local government, private enterprise street and roadmap producers, orienteers) with some sort of wikimap, we should be able to eliminate duplication and produce something really good. Am I dreaming?

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz