maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Otago Champs, Feb 2005 - Alpine/Beech Forest Orienteering!!!

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 29 November 2004, 5:09 AM  
Looks like the 2005 Otago Champs are shaping up to be an awesome event. Outstanding new maps, in a spectacular location! I can guarantee a strong Southerly Storm contingent will be attending.

Check out the Dunedin Orienteering Website - http://www.dunedinorienteering.com/

Jamie - how come these have been announced at such short notice?

This message was edited by Chris Forne on 29 November 2004, 12:10 PM

Show Profile  Southernman Posted: 29 November 2004, 5:23 AM  
There was a change of venue (from Mt Ross/Gladbrook) and thats why it has only just been announced. Bruce McLeod actually made these maps a few years ago and have been used by the local school but this is the first time that they will be used for an event.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 29 November 2004, 5:34 AM  
That does look like an interesting event.
I might have to come out of retirement for it.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 November 2004, 9:25 AM  
Chris - my limited understanding of the percieved short notice (given that I don't know much about what goes on in orienteering circles these days) is that some rad people came up with a rad idea and decided to run a rad event, which will be rad.

When I found out about this event a week or so ago I tried to get it put into the superseries and failed. Any chance of a reconsideration powers that be? (full respect and kudos to those involved but there couldn't be a better venue to promote elite orienteering.

Hypothetically what do other people think about changes to the super series program after the series has started but still 2-3 months before the event - should we maintain flexibility to allow the inclusion of great opportunities such as this one?

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 29 November 2004, 10:21 AM  
yes

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 29 November 2004, 10:56 AM  
Yes

Show Profile  mark Posted: 30 November 2004, 3:00 AM  
Yes.
Is that super series thing still going?

I've booked my tickets.

This message was edited by mark on 30 November 2004, 10:01 AM

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 30 November 2004, 5:17 AM  
Sounds good to me. But I'll be going anyway.

This message was edited by Chris Forne on 30 November 2004, 12:17 PM

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 30 November 2004, 8:43 AM  
no - so that it doesn't need to be flexible, get your events planned on time and it shouldn't be a problem.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 30 November 2004, 11:03 AM  
no - deadlines are for reasons, airfares have to be booked and funding organised in advance. Surely this event has been in the pipeline for longer than a couple of weeks?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 30 November 2004, 1:47 PM  
Sounds like a wicked area, I would love to run there one day. Sadly this late in the piece the cheapest airfare is $556 rtn, plus a day off work needed. That will teach me for living in the Wops!!! I'll have to settle for the Wild Moa Race in Rotorua.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 30 November 2004, 1:54 PM  
your going down Darren

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 30 November 2004, 3:50 PM  
I agree that it's a problem with airfares and funding when the events aren't known until three months before (luckily I didn't quite get round to booking our tickets to Auckland for the Ocenaia champs before I went to Japan otherwise we would have missed out on the sprint race seeing were planning on coming up Friday evening). But it's not so much the event planners that miss out but those who don't get to go because they can't afford it without the funding support. Luckily I live in the South Island, when I live in NZ, so it's not too much expense to get there. I'm planning to go because it sounds fantastic and Paradise will probably be one of the best maps of the year for me (and that's taking into account all of the Swedish maps I'm plannig on running on next year). I don't care whether it a superseries event or not - it sounds like the event of the year! How about some training on Naseby the day before or after?

Thanks Bruce and George and others for organizing and planning it!

When's Bruce and Sasha's baby due by the way - Kaia wants to know if she'll win the under 6 months grade unopposed.

You do live in a pretty nice place though, Darren, I'd think it was worth it for missing a few O events. But we're looking forward to welcoming you to Christchurch...

PS If someone put a funding grant in and managed to get airfare support for those from the North Island (which they could only do if it was a Superseries event) wouldn't you want that? I think there is still time but it is indeed a bit much to ask our already overworked superseries administrator!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz