Blair Trewin, Ian Meyer, Rob Preston, Rob Walter
Clare Hawthorne, Cassie Trewin, Tracey Bluett, Anna Sheldon

The elite ANZ challenge teams are -
Blair, Rob and Rob,
Clare, Tracey and Anna

Show Profile  :D Posted: 24 November 2004, 5:47 PM  
So who's in the NZ team then?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 November 2004, 1:18 AM  
So why aren't the Aussies running Dave Shepherd? Because he is too good?

I don't know what everyone else thinks but the thought of the Aussies running a B team against us doesn't sit well with me...are we a B grade orienteering nation?..do we not respect our top mens elites?

It was a dumb idea to start with and now its gone way too far

Jamie

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 25 November 2004, 3:10 AM  
I beg to differ Jamie.

The idea behind the 'test match' is to increase the high level competition for our elites and get them more used to racing in international events.

The aim is still World Champs, but the tests are used as a relatively cheap way to prepare for that through increased high level racing.

So far it seems to be working (looking at the results of the last test match in Australia where we kicked ass and also the recent world ranking event in Japan).

It is up to the Australians what team that they select. I personally think that they are setting themselves up for failure by sending a 'b' team over here. After all if our team can beat them over there then we should destroy them at home (especially in woodhill).

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 November 2004, 4:17 AM  
Brent - I was not questioning the value of the test matches, merely criticising the fact that the Aussies seem to think that it is appropriate to select B teams to face us...would the All Blacks play Australia A in a "test match"?

Dave Shepherd is clearly the best Australian currently entered in the Oceania carnival he should be in the Test match team. Are there any Aussies out there with a perpspective on this?

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 25 November 2004, 9:52 AM  
Troy de Haas is also entered, but just in the WRE's. So we will be racing against the best, whether or not they are in the team. If we continue to build on the fantastic results in Aussie, then they may eventually change their thinking on who to select for test matches.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 25 November 2004, 10:13 AM  
In the past Aussie elites who were going to the World Champs were not allowed to be part of the Bushrangers Team at the same time. The Aussies use the Test Matches to develop the strength of their second tier of elites and those elites who base themselves in Australia.

I presume these same rules still apply and thus the likes of Dave Shep, Troy and BJ wont be part of the Bushrangers Team. I would still like the Australian's to put a "top" team into the ANZ Challenge.

Hopefully BJ, Dave Shep, Troy team together for the relay. How much would you wage on the Kiwi team? BJ recently came home in first place on the first leg of the 25manna relay in Sweden. Representing none other than the top Halden team. http://www.25manna.nu/

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 25 November 2004, 4:40 PM  
The rules do still apply with WOC and Bushies teams containing separate runners.

I think the Bushrangers concept is important for our 2nd tier. It's a good way of exposing the runners outside the WOC team to good competition in an environment when they have to perform as a team as well as in an individual capacity.

I think our teams efforts in Aust was not a true reflection of the Bushies capability. Look how our girls pushed your team in June in NZ forests.

Incidentaly it's the Bushrangers, not the B team. I don't consider an Aussie team with Rob Walter or Tracy in it a B team. Good luck beating our official B team of Shep, BJ and Troy.

Better get of my bum and post my entry tomorrow. Anyone out there want a run in the Aussie C team with me?

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 1 December 2004, 2:22 AM  
Pinestars, ANZ Challenge team, and schools team have been announced. Congrats to all those selected.

www.nzorienteering.com

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz