maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

2005 Oceania Orienteering Carnival

Show Profile  runningbeast Posted: 16 August 2004, 5:49 AM  
Just a quick note to let you know that the website for the 2005 Oceania Orienteering Carnival has been updated with further details on the carnival.

The Carter Holt Harvey Forests 2005 Oceania Orienteering Carnival incorporates the PINEPAC Australia v. New Zealand Challenge (individuals, relays and Mountian Bike Orienteering), the Oceania Championships (individual and relays) and a test match between NZ and Australia Secondary Schools (individual and relays). We are applying to have two of the events as World Ranking Events for the elite men and women.

The website update includes the following:
- A complete timetable is available with more detailed information on each of the events including the location of the events in relation to Auckland city

- An entry form is now available and to get benefit from the early bird entry fees your entry must be in by 1 October 2004

- There is some information on accommodation for the event

- There is some example portions of the maps and photos of the terrain

Regards

Shaun Collins
Event Coordinator

This message was edited by runningbeast on 16 August 2004, 1:50 PM

This message was edited by runningbeast on 16 August 2004, 1:52 PM

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 16 August 2004, 7:12 AM  
And the website is here:
www.geocities.com/nwocnz/Oceania/oceania.htm

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 27 August 2004, 12:01 PM  
I was just looking through the website for the Oceania Champs and noticed that the majority of races are 'Multiday Distance'. I assume this means 60 or 70 % of Classic distance though I'm not sure.

If this is the case then the carnival has NO middle distance races (25-35min winning time) and NO sprint distance (12-15min winning times). Is this correct?

What's going on? If I'm mistaken about what multiday distance is then apologies in advance, but every New Zealand O Carnival seems to keep pushing the longer formats at the expense of middle distance and sprint. Despite the fact that the elite competitors would prefer a mix of disciplines.

Please can't we have a few short races?

Eric

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 27 August 2004, 12:04 PM  
oops just noted the sat race is Middle distance according to the World ranking Event info. Still it would be nice if we could see the expected winning times with the event info.

Eric

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 27 August 2004, 4:31 PM  
Old people plan events in NZ Ecmo and they have this mentality that they must get value for money = only bloody long boring events

Show Profile  Brenda Boghopper Posted: 28 August 2004, 7:57 AM  
Old people plan events. Young people grizzle.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 30 August 2004, 1:18 AM  
Old people use aliases to back up their own comments on Maptalk.

Show Profile  trevorm Posted: 30 August 2004, 8:10 AM  
Greg, contact the organisers and offer to set the day I'm doing. i have heaps to do between now and Christmas. But its a Multiday event though

Show Profile  addison Posted: 2 September 2004, 12:02 PM  
After listening to a bit of comment about the Oceania Carnival, and considering we are trying to raise money for JWOC, Martin and myself are looking at holding a Sprint-O during the Carnival.

We are very open to the idea, as nothing is finalised. We're looking at the date of the 14th with a close eye. This is because it is a rest day, and the next day is just one of the Oceania Multiday events and therefore theirs no reason for people to 'save themselves'.

What we were wondering was would you be interested in competing in this event if it went ahead? And we are intending on trying to secure Sport Ident but if that fails, what are your thoughts on old school clipping?

Also any ideas on what maps you would like it to be on? Probably would be in town somewhere.

Show Profile  Richard G Posted: 2 September 2004, 12:08 PM  
I'd be very interested, and sport Ident would be a preference.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 2 September 2004, 4:17 PM  
Trevor your club boasts about being the most well organised club in NZ so if you have problems contact them I'm sure they could pullout someone else to do it, I do enough for my club.

This message was edited by Greg on 3 September 2004, 12:32 AM

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 3 September 2004, 1:04 AM  
Kia ora fellas.

Hey great idea, but check it out with the organisig clubs first aye, don't want to stand on anybodys toes.

I would be there with bells on

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 3 September 2004, 1:30 AM  
Of course, we are in the process of doing that.

Just wanted an indication as to whether people would be keen - its a pretty full on 10 days already.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 3 September 2004, 9:59 AM  
I'd be keen for a Sprint during one of the Rest days.

Show Profile  davem Posted: 3 September 2004, 11:11 AM  
if im over id love to run a sprint

Show Profile  Kate Posted: 3 September 2004, 12:10 PM  
I'd definitely be interested in a Sprint, especially because they're so good from a spectator point of view. It would also give some variety. Old school clipping would make it interesting...

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz