maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

2004/2005 Super Series

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 28 July 2004, 7:10 AM  
"What elites would run 35's or 40's for that matter if they were a serious contender for the open category?"

If they really are a serious contender for the open category, none, because they'll be selected for the ANZ elite team. But if they miss out, to youngsters like yourself for example, and are selected for their age grade, it becomes a case of either running elite to prove the selectors wrong or running age grade to try to win the challenge. It comes down to how important representing your country is.
Some of our top veteran elites have participated in WMOCs in the past with major success, but still run elite grade. I can guarantee that whatever they think about their age grade in general, none of them would consider WMOC a waste of time. I would suggest that the ANZ Challenge is not a waste of time either.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 28 July 2004, 7:23 AM  
Fair enough. I didn't realise that there was an overall Aust vs NZ Challenge, with selections for each age grade.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 28 July 2004, 11:10 AM  
I think that it would be a shame if the Auckland and Wellington champs are not included.

One of the main reasons that the SS was made in the first place is to increase the elite field size.

This is done by travel costs being paid so all us unemployed people (professional athlets) can afford to go to the events.

Mabye some other format can be sorted out so the top 8 don't miss out on many points, could have the system of dropping some races or something.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 28 July 2004, 1:10 PM  
Thanks, Jeff. Chris, don't worry I don't intend to run 35s just for fun but yes the challenge is contested at all age grades and I'm hoping I might be able to help win the 35s grade if I'm not fit enough to help with 21s. Marquita, Mark and ACW are probably more useful in 21s but they could also help win other grades!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 28 July 2004, 1:14 PM  
But Brent if there are also the Central District Champs and the South Island Champs to consider, why not take them instead. I wouldn't think there would be more than 2 weekends picked for the SS pre-Christmas anyway?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 28 July 2004, 1:30 PM  
I agree with Brent it would be a shame if the Auck and Well champs aren't included, as they are both on good areas. But Jenni is right in saying that depleted fields in both these races, due to some being in Japan, may harm the credibility of the series.
One possible solution which could work. Choose the best of these two events (terrain/format) and run the elite fields on a different weekend say the 13/14th November. The organisers still set the courses and put out controls (most of which should be used on other courses) then just leave the elite course controls out which we can collect after we've run the races.
No extra effort required by anyone, we just turn up on a different day to everyone else. It shouldn't be to hard to find someone to be starter/finisher.
This could also open up the opportunity of a training camp the week between this and the CD Champs on 20/21.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 28 July 2004, 1:34 PM  
You wait 'till you're old Mr. Forne!!! Actually it's at classic distance that 35's is particuarly useful 'cos it's considerably shorter and I hate to say it but the body does start to feel it's age a bit once 30 becomes a distant memory. Fortunately our sport involves a certain amount of cunning so we can still outsmart you young things. Being W35 is also useful in that you can run leg 3 of the National relays.....

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz