maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

2004/2005 Super Series

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 21 July 2004, 7:18 AM  
Does anyone know what is happening with next seasons Super Series? What events are to be included etc?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 21 July 2004, 1:51 PM  
Mike Wood has just been appointed as the High Performance manager by the NZOF. It will still be his job to manage the SS. I guess he will be on to it .
Where are you living and what are you doing Brent??????????

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 22 July 2004, 4:30 AM  
A few ideas of events:

Wellington Champs : 6th/7th November 2004
Classic at Oslighith (sp.) National Map 2004
Short at Harakeke ?

Central District Champs: not sure what weekend
I heard this was on a new map out towards Raglan?

Oceania Champs:

I think there is about 6 or 7 races, which ones should be included? Does anyone know if a Middle Distance event is being planned? From the look of the program the whole carnival is dominated by Long Distance Races (Classic)

There will be a Australia - NZ Relay. Wouldnt this be an awesome opportunity to have a Super Series Relay. Not sure how feasible it would be? eg numbers of guys and girls in each region.

Waitangi Weekend ? Waitangi Day is on Thursday so could devise a 4 day training weekend and a race on the last day?
Be good to have a race somewhere around this time of the season.

Nationals: Easter March 2005.

Show Profile  Southernman Posted: 22 July 2004, 4:52 AM  
Add in the South Island's in Nelson on Labour weekend perhaps

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 22 July 2004, 7:19 AM  
Re Andrew's post: From the NW website it looks like day 1 of the Oceania Champs is a middle distance (or short distance using the old terminology) event for elite men and women only, and is also a world ranking event. This would make it a must for the Super Series.
The ANZ challenge relay would be weakened as a Super Series teams event by virtue of the "top" 3 male and female elites competing for their country and not for their region. But everyone knows that the National Relays event also has significant issues if it is to be included in the Super Series. I think that whichever relay event is chosen, the inclusion of a relay should be a major priority for the teams section of this Super Series.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 July 2004, 8:02 AM  
Great to see the continuing interest in the Superseries. At this stage it looks like it will begin and end in January as the only event info that has been provided to me or the Technical Convenor is from the Oceania Carnival:-((

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 22 July 2004, 10:38 AM  
The Super Series should start at South Island Champs in Nelson, assuming that this is going ahead and is of a suitable standard.
I'm really keen to run on the Takaka Hill and Rotoiti Maps, however it doesn't look like either of these will be used.

Also not that its terribly important, but a group of the Elites will be in Japan during the Wellington Champs, so its possibly a bit silly to include these?

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 23 July 2004, 5:09 PM  
Yes I presume that a crop of elites will be jetting off to Japan. But the terrain and map will be one of the best held during the Spring part of the season. I would be a bit disapointed if this is not included.

Would be great to have a Ultra Long Distance fitted into the Series at some point. Not sure what events are avaliable. But could just use first 2/3 courses at an Regional event and turn it into a Multiloop race?

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 24 July 2004, 8:53 AM  
Remember the Queens Birthday held in the wairarapa 2 years ago now. The winter classic? That was an ultra long race so why not use the sma e format somewhere else, or even same time? Have runners go out on their first loop or map, come back, collect their next course and have a drink and spectators control etc then off again and then a third time. I think it worked well....

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 25 July 2004, 12:31 PM  
I heard that the 2nd day of CD champs was going to be (for elites) a multi loop mass start affair - don't know about length but I'd assume on the longer side if not actual endurance race length. And for the rest of us a middle distance race! Hooray! (Now how can I convince a mate of mine to not get married that weekend)

So if the Hamilton organisers read this forum, why not get some info on how quality the weekend will be to MJW, and you might find yourself a super-series field!

Show Profile  Patrick Posted: 26 July 2004, 2:44 AM  
The CD champs will take place the wekend of 20./21. November (to ask Andrew's question)
The 2nd day of the CD champs will indeed be something special for the elite, however, definitely no endurance race as the area is too small. As Michael Wood is one of the mappers of the area, he will be already convinced that the area is good enough for the superseries. So I will get in touch with him ;-)

Show Profile  darren Posted: 26 July 2004, 10:55 AM  
The training camp in Japan is the last weekend in October to the first weekend in November. So the group that are there will miss both the Auckland and Wellington champs. So maybe it would be better to use Sth Island champs and CD champs as SS races?
Maybe January through to Queens B-day is another option??

Show Profile  darren Posted: 26 July 2004, 10:56 AM  
The training camp in Japan is the last weekend in October to the first weekend in November. So the group that are there will miss both the Auckland and Wellington champs. So maybe it would be better to use Sth Island champs and CD champs as SS races?
Maybe January through to Queens B-day is another option??

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 July 2004, 12:14 PM  
Keep talking, I'm listening. I'm learning things that clubs haven't told me or Bruce Henderson, in spite of our entreaties...

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 27 July 2004, 1:02 PM  
I would think it would be silly to include events with dates when at least the top 8 orienteers in NZ would be out of the country, it would downgrade the superseries credibility. Sorry Andrew it is great terrain but it is also terrain and maps that most have run on and were part of last years superseries - and it might be preferable to include new terrain.

I would suggest that the ANZ challenge event itself was NOT a superseries event as some elites might be running in older age groups that day... (although from my point of view I would be embarrassed to lose the bet Carsten and I have, on who would run 35s first, so badly - within a few days of our eligiblity!). There are after all plenty of other events to use that week?

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 28 July 2004, 5:05 AM  
What elites would run 35's or 40's for that matter if they were a serious contender for the open category? I can't see many of our elites doing that if they felt they were in good shape. And even if they were considering it, this would hopefully pursuade them not to. Personally I think the 35's category is a bit of a waste of time. I don't see that being 35 is much of a handicap especially at Classic distance.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz