maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

NZSS Champs 2004

Show Profile  addison Posted: 13 July 2004, 3:25 PM  
As many will be aware, the NZSS Champs are being held this weekend (friday/saturday) in Rotorua. The offical entry count is 349 at present, and no doubt this figure will continue to change.

Looking at the fields, they are all very strong. Hawkes Bay has shown that its development programs are now 'bearing fruit' you could say. A massive contingent is coming up from the Bay.

But trying to pinpoint winners is a very hard task. I will have a bit of a dab before the event:
Senior Girls: Amber Morrison
Senior Boys: Richard Glover / Daniel Stott
Intermediate Girls: Emma Watson? not too sure of the field
Intermediate Boys: Thomas Reynolds
Juniors: Unknown Factor.

If anyone else would like to make a few bets, go ahead. For those interested orienteers who will be down Rotorua way in the weekend, the Sunday Club Event will be held on the same courses as the Individual Day (Silver Hills).

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 14 July 2004, 2:59 AM  
Simon my dear friend,

I wrote my pre-race favourites up fot the hutt valley website but I'll take you on.

Senior Girls is tight. look back to NISS and how Tineke shocked everybody with a win over Amber. She was you might say a "unknown factor" but can she pull it off again. Amber will now know what she is up against and I'm sure has been training hard to defend her title. But that could go either way. Lets not count out for the other podium places with maybe Rita Holmes and Lizzie Ingham or even young Francis Peat..... I know that is a few but top 2 Amber and Tineke with maybe Lizzie in 3rd.

In the boys you picked up on the Te Puke student Daniel Stott but what about his team mate Sam McNally and dare I say it good old Robert Patterson, always in the background ready to punce. With Richards form at both club Nationals and NISS I think he should clean it up with out any surprises.... He did beat Robert by 20 minutes at Wellington champs too.

Intermediate Boys I must agree Thomas is a favourite for a top 3 however you do have to deal with defending Champ Duncan O'Reagan from Christ's College, Andrew Peat and Ciaran Murphy. You saw them at camp. Those boys are close. And it is the biggest field of the comp so my top 3 would be (in no particualr order because it is so close) Thomas, Andrew and Ciaran, all within a couple of minutes of each other.

I think your on the ball with Intermediate Girls. Emma is looking good. Her time at Wellington Champs put her ahead of most of the field but Tessa Ramsden of Wanganui was only 2 minutes back on a just under hour race. Thats pretty impressive. But this field is an unfamiliar one and I would tend to pick names I know for good times, like Jess young, Kate Rea, Melanie Michels etc. Fingers crossed with Emma.

Anyways. I have to much spare time with this thing on my leg so I best be off being "constructive". I congratulate you in advance Simon for putting together the courses this year. I am sure it will be a token case of course setters revenge................................

Now where is wetfish. Care to have a go and put your thoughts forward?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 14 July 2004, 5:39 AM  
I think you are a bit quick to congratulate about an event that hasn't even been held yet! Lets just hope and pray the rain stays away.

Senior Boys: I have narrowed it down to two for a few reasons. Firstly, Daniel is in home terrain and has proven to be a competent and 'fast' orienteer. This terrain is not overly technical, and if you can orienteer with good fast flow you will come through on the day. Richards form of late has been good and this is why these two are my picks. Sam has had a bad infection in his leg and been unable to run and is very lucky to even be running at this event. Robert, although I wish he was at the peak of his form... he isnt in form at all both physically and orienteering wise.

Senior Girls: If Amber has an average run or even a good run, nobody in the field can even touch her. I will stand by that comment even after a disastor occurs. Im sad to say that Tineke didnt win the NISS Champs, Amber lost it. I think also due to Tineke's inexperience, I wouldnt put her up there this time. Francis is Ambers biggest rival if you ask me.

Intermediate Boys: To be honest I sorta forgot about Duncan. A proven orienteer both in NZ and Australia last year, he will be up there im sure. But Thomas should win. Somehow this year I dont think it will be the South Island domination that it was last year. The NZSS Team Selectors may have a close look at this field, because its going to be hard to judge which 2nd Year Intermediates to take in the team to bolster the Senior Boys contingent.

Intermediate Girls: Well like I said, unsure of the field. Im expecting an 'unknown' to even be right up in the field this time.

Hope the recovery is going well David. Its almost as though at the moment every junior orienteer in NZ is injured somehow! Im planning on getting physio clearance next week to start running again because Ive been out of my cast now for a couple of weeks.

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 14 July 2004, 1:40 PM

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 14 July 2004, 11:06 AM  
Simon,

After having a think for a bit and letting my "liftplusoptimism"wear off, I'll agree with you on the Amber vs. Tineke issue. If Amber can fight off the likes of Tania and co at Nationals it should be a walk in the park. But you haven't commented on your 2nd and 3rd contenders. Too close for you?

Show Profile  Malcolm Posted: 15 July 2004, 5:21 AM  
Is it really ethical for the course setter to be making predictions about who will win???

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 15 July 2004, 6:07 AM  
I like a bit of pre-race hype. Helps get everyone fired up and excited about the event. Michael Wood does it for the super series, and I think it adds to the event. Shows people are interested. Good on ya Simon.

If you're one of the ones whos picked as a favourite, it shows people rate your orienteering skills, otherwise its fun to try and win or pull off a good performance as an outside chance. Personally I think its usually more exciting to do well if others don't expect it.

Finally I don't see why it should be any more ethical? for the course setter to make predictions than any one else. So long as they don't give away any information about the course on Map-talk that is not already widely available.

Show Profile  Wetfish Posted: 15 July 2004, 6:55 AM  
OK David, here's my picks...

Senior Boys: Daniel Stott
Ones to look out for are Daniel Barnfield and James Watson, who I hear is in good form, although 6km may be stretching him a bit. James is technically very sound and by the sounds of things, this will be no end adventagous.

Senior Girls: Amber Morrison
No surprises here.

Intermediate Boys: Duncan 'O' Regan
Duncan is very fit, and quite good navigator. Thomas Reynolds will push him.

Intermediate Girls: Emma Watson
I've just had a look at the programme and she has been enetered into the standard grade but this will no doubt change.

Junior Boys: Scott McDonald
Classic and Short Distance M14 National Champion.

Junior Girls: Kate Morrison/Nicola Peat
Hard one to pick.

Relays
Senior Boys: Napier Boys
With Te Puke's third leg runner in doubt, it looks like Napier Boys will be the one who will pull through. Depending on James' run, CHB could also be up there.

Senior Girls: St Cuthberts
In this grade, as in others, most teams only have one or two experienced runners. Chilton may sneak past.

Intermediate Boys: Havelock North/Napier Boys
There was only a few seconds between these two teams at north islands.

Intermediate Girls: Napier Girls
Random Guess.

Junior Boys: Napier Boys/Havelock North
A few seconds between the two at the Hawke's Bay Schools Relay Champs.

Junior Girls: Havelock North
Good runners in the team, with good heads. All you need for white.

Top Schools
Boys: Napier Boys
The Napier Boys legacy started with Ross Morrison and has been continued with the help of Derek even though he has no sons at the school. Could this be their year? Seconds four years in a row (I think). I think they are just too strong for other schools to match across all the grades.

Girls: Napier Girls
Although Birkenhead is probably bringing a bus or two of competitors, they have no real "stars".

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 15 July 2004, 8:38 AM  
Paul if your trying to keep your identity a secret still, having such a bias towards the Hawkes Bay is not very smart.

See everyone there.

Show Profile  Brenda Boghopper Posted: 16 July 2004, 7:11 AM  
How about some proper news items about the Silva SS Champs. There's been nothing much except Michael Wood's stuff about fringe orienteering for ages. Not even a report about the nationals..

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 16 July 2004, 9:08 AM  
In a very rain soaked silver hills it was cold and miserable. I starting to got some texts through but peoples cold thumbs limiting the process. Heres some provisonal results subject to checking etc.

Senior boys - Richard Glover pulls out. Throws up at first control then dry renching rest of the way. Won by Daniel Stott of Te Puke. Sam McNally 2nd....

Senior girls - All i know is Amber Morrison won, dont ask places.

Intermediate Girls - Kate Rea (Chilton St James )took line honours, beating Emma Watson by 20 seconds or so. Maybe Georgia Whitla 3rd (it is a text message guys so i do apologise).

And then theres a few minor placings but thats the goss at the moment. Torrential rain the whole day with everybody totally soaked right through. Dont know juniors of intermediate boys yet.

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 17 July 2004, 7:20 AM  
SBC - Daniel Stott
SGC - Amber Morrison
IBC - Thomas Reynolds
IGC - Kate Rea
JBC - Sam Eames
JGC - Nicola Peat

Relays today, hopefully the weather is better than it was yesterday.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 July 2004, 9:05 AM  
Well I was about 29s or so off getting 4/4 predictions right.

Kate Rea was the happiest of all competitors, fulfilling the 'potential' she has and making it 'actual'.

A few notes from the course setters point of view, and a personal view as well as a view I have heard from others...

Regarding printing of the maps
- it was very hard to see the courses for some people, and most people would have found it harder that the average orienteering event. This was because of a problem that occured by a changing of the printing machine between the trial runs and the actual run. Sorry to all parties that found it a tad tougher to see, but it was honestly out of our control.

Senior Boys (Red 1)
- this course was 6km. I was told to have the guidelines of about a 50minute winning time. I set a course for this, but admit it was a tad longer than it should have been considering the field and that noone had an exceptional run. Winning time 59minutes. After the actual event the Elites Neil Brent James and Bryn ran the course and found it nice, Neil winning doing 43minutes.
- Richard Glover was the surprise of the day, DNF'ing after a shocking first control and him being "sick". Obviously he has been learning excuses off dear Greg. Speaking of Greg, hope Europe is going well.

A succesful event in everything other than weather, I would like to thank all parties concerned who came to help (especially the 4 elites). Everyone did an exceptional job and it made it a lot easier working with a fully competant team.

Overall:
Napier Girls 1st Top School 1st= Premier
Napier Boys 1st Top School
Havelock North 1st Premier Boys
Chilton St James 1st= Premier
Amber Morrison, 3rd Senior Girls Championship Title.
Overall Entries approx 350ppl

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 17 July 2004, 9:29 AM  
Simon,

Do you have the top 3 places for each grade. It would be good to see who was close and who wasnt. Anything on the relays?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 July 2004, 11:26 AM  
Umm I wouldnt dare to have a dab at allbecause I didnt really pay much attention to the results but I will try a bit.

SBC. Daniel Stott 1st. Sam McNally 2nd. ?? 3rd
SGC. Amber Morrison 1st. ?? 2nd. Rita Holmes 3rd
IBC. Thomas Reynolds 1st. Andrew Peat 2nd. ?? 3rd
IGC. Kate Rea 1st. Emma Watson 2nd. ?? 3rd.
JBC. ??
JGC. Nicola Peat 1st. Kate Morrison 2nd. ?? 3rd

In regards to Secondary School Championships being put on the NZ Orienteering Stats Database: Howsabout allocating the appropriate club grade to the secondary school grade-
standard grade = M/W B grade
championship grade = M/W A grade
This would mean that results can be better analysed for rankings, and how is it that the Individual Event actually is an A Badge event and if it is so how does that correspond to a club grade.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 17 July 2004, 1:23 PM  
Yeah good point,

If the event has been allocated A level badge status, people should therefore be able to apply for badge credits. But for what grade.

Bryan Teahan might have some ideas. Not sure if the age groups are exactly the same between Sec School and NZOF grades. Be interesting to see.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 July 2004, 1:36 PM  
They used to be before the review of grades. But the age groups match perfectly, i.e Senior = m/w18 Int m/w16 etc etc

And regarding the NZSS Team to go to Australia, was the NZSS Champs the only trial for the team? If so, does DNFing or DSQing mean you are straight away out of contention?

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz