maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

European Champs - Denmark

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 12 July 2004, 12:05 PM  
Just a link to some qualification results. Dave Shep having a pretty good run to head out Carsten in his home terrain.

http://www.eoc2004.dk/en/index.asp

Pretty nice website for a change.

Show Profile  :D Posted: 12 July 2004, 6:00 PM  
Don't forget to check out the middle qualification results.. I made my first A final ever. Woohoo!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 12 July 2004, 10:29 PM  
I'm supposed to be writing a report seeing I'm "press" but I'll wait until after tomorrow so as to report on Danielle's great result.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 14 July 2004, 7:36 PM  
I don't seem to be getting round to writing much on all the inside gossip. Hopefully tomorrow.

If you're interested I guess you've looked up the results. The sprint final is about to happen with only Dave Shep and Grant qualified in the A final for Aust men and Hanny for Aust woman. It looks from the splits like BJ started well but then lost time, I don't know what happened to Troy as he was a long way back.

Danielle was happy with her run yesterday making only one mistake but says she just isn't running fast enough to match those ahead of her.

Carsten was 4th but not particularly happy when he finished - we're hoping his parents don't know that he swore on TV! He made a few mistakes in the beginning and got a but panicky but then was running fast, maybe too fast as he had the fast splits on the last 5 legs except for one where he made a 20 something mistake and he was 3s from 3rd and 12 from 2nd... I thought it was pretty good!

Tim and Martin were 1st and 2nd in H20 in the danish 5 day event yesterday and Clare 3rd. Not sure about their sprint results yet.

Show Profile  :D Posted: 15 July 2004, 10:38 PM  
Actually not too happy with a 6 minute mistake and some other smaller ones. But even without that they're so bloody fast..

Someone said Carsten DSQd himself from the sprint for going through an out-of-bounds area, do you know more about that Jenni? Grant said he just took the slowest route choice just about every time so he wasn't too happy. Hanny said she wasn't totally confident so didn't attack as much as usual, but she now knows what it takes to do a good result in the sprint. Something to work on for WOC!

Classic tomorrow...

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 16 July 2004, 9:02 AM  
I had the sprint day off as the Aussies have 7 men here. For the morning heats I stood at the water crossing and got some fairly amusing pictures of the worlds best orienteers going swimming.

The heats were not too good. The map was pretty unfair with confusion about whether you were allowed to run through the dark green and in some places the organisers had cleared some of the vegetation so people could get through tough spots. So for many if you took the risky route you got lucky and if you didn't you missed the final. As usual however, the best still seemed to generally come out on top.

The final was much better from a fairness point of view though it was perhaps easier than it could have been in an effort to maximise the spectator aspect.

Carsten did disq himself after accidentally running through olive green on the map (private land). Shep thought he ran ok. Grant wasn't 100% happy and Hanny made a few small errors and lots of hesitations which obviously cost her given the quality of the field.

Eric

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz