maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Greetings from Finland!

Show Profile  Eija Posted: 16 February 2004, 3:43 PM  
So, the main reason I'm here is that... well I love orienteering! And that's the reason why I decided NOT to become an exchange stundent in Australia in the first place - there's no way I'd leave my most beloved hobby totally for a year!
Then I heard about orienteering in Australia - an became excited. I don't know whether I'm in the right place, but if someone would like to tell me a bit about, yeah, orienteering in Australia, I'd be really happy. I guess though, I'd have to skip Ski-O for a year, but that'll have to do...

Thank you,

Eija Merilaenen (eisku101@luukku.com)
Ps. To avoid confusion, that's a girl's name!
Pps. Finland is a northern country next to Sweden.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 17 February 2004, 2:01 PM  
New Zealand is that southern country next to Australia.

The one that hasn't been built by a convict race.

Show Profile  Eija Posted: 17 February 2004, 7:14 PM  
And I still keep wondering if Jamie really is a boy's name after all...

Show Profile  Eija Posted: 17 February 2004, 7:39 PM  
And I should have checked this site before I wrote anything... Good for me!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 18 February 2004, 2:11 AM  
Hi Eija,
Although my first reaction the other day when I read your post was to write much the same thing as Jamie (our geography is a little better than most Americans here!) I'm a little more polite than him. (Jamie -I thought you were studying for exams and in your spare time you're posting me your Southerly Storm O top!)

I guess you have found the Australian O website
http://www.orienteering.asn.au/
A Finnish orienteer called Henna Makalainen was here in NZ competing early this year, she had been studying in Melbourne, Australia last year. The email addresses she gave were
henmak@utu.fi or henna_m@hotmail.com so she might be able to give you good advice from a Finnish point of view.

Hope you have a good time and come here and visit all the rude New Zealanders as well!

Jenni

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 February 2004, 2:20 PM  
Jeni, if I hadn't replied then you never would have and therefore no one would have and we all would have appeared rude even though we are all very lovely people deep down inside like Darcy from Pride and Prejudice (the guy that looks like Neil).

Show Profile  Eija Posted: 18 February 2004, 6:48 PM  
*and still ashamed of her own stupidity*

Show Profile  Eija Posted: 18 February 2004, 6:49 PM  
Thank you!

Show Profile  Melissa Posted: 19 February 2004, 9:06 AM  
Darcy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/postcards/images/darcy_pride.jpg

Neil: http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/Firefoot/Melissa/neildance.jpg[

Can't see it myself

This message was edited by Melissa on 19 February 2004, 5:14 PM

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 19 February 2004, 1:42 PM  
Least I don't have a Girls name.

Show Profile  :D Posted: 19 March 2004, 5:48 PM  
Eija,
The best place to go for 'o' in Aus is probably Canberra, it's certainly got the most active group of orienteers. Lots of maps close in to the city too, unlike Sydney and Melbourne where you have to drive for hooooooooours. There's a couple of universities - ANU (Australian National Uni) and Uni of Canberra. I don't know how you'll go for ski-o, they usually try to have one event a year in Victoria (and they call it the national champs!) and you're lucky if it's held at all. It's usually postponed and postponed until they get some snow, if they do. We do have lots of mountain bike o though...

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz