Featuring the Frank Smith Interclub Challenge

Hosted By Orienteering Hutt Valley
21-22nd February 2004
"B" Level Event

Day 1 - Classic Event (Watchtower)
Featuring Hagaby-style Mass Start Race on Course One and Two

Day 2 - Classic Event (Wanda)
The Frank Smith competition day

NB Competitors must belong to a WOA Club to be eligible for club points.

Pre entry is required if you wish to have a pre-marked map for both days

Entries Close -10 th Feb 2003

Two days of orienteering in the small beach-side township of Waitarere in the southern Manawatu. Features the Frank Smith Interclub challenge.

The excellent Watchtower and Wanda maps are adjacent to the embargoed areas for the 2004 National Champs and provide a great training opportunity,just 2 months out from the main event.

Brought to you by the minds behind the ANZ Challenge Short 2002,
National Secondary Schools 2001 and Orienteering Hutt Valley

This is basically a warm up to the 2004 Nationals to be held further up the coast near Wanagnui in very similar terrain. If you want quality training or just want to get out and run this is the place to be in February.

For more info, accomadation ideas and even to enter go to....

http://www.mapsport.co.nz/hvoc/hvoc.html and click the DUNE TUNE link in the top left corner.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 28 January 2004, 4:53 PM  
bringing the family name into disrepute

spl. Waitarere

In all seriousness I hope that all make an effort to turn up. The first day (note change in program on website) is going to be a mint mass start race, only 70 mins in length but plenty of those fancy butterfly things like they have at World Champs to break up the packs.

So all those people who complain that there is never enough head to head racing put your reputation on the line and stake an early claim for nationals glory.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 29 January 2004, 12:57 AM  
hmm, accommodation looks pretty bad too but I'm not sure Neil ever got that right last year either. (My Mum used to count how many times she saw it wrong on motel signs so I notice it now).

(Carsten and I would have loved to come but we're going to a wedding of two of my best friends (they've been together since we were 16 - around 17 years!))

Hope you all have fun.

This message was edited by Jenni on 29 January 2004, 10:31 AM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 February 2004, 4:33 AM  
The weekend approaches, you might say a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since the last posting...

Competitor final info is on the OHV website www.mapsport.co.nz/hvoc/hvoc.html.

The sun is shining today but rain and high winds are forecast for Saturday. Sunday should be better, but access may change, however it will in all cases be signposted from the Waitarere Beach turnoff on SH1 north of Levin.

You can expect to get wet, and some weather-related glitches, but Andrew (and Peter before he had some surgery) have created imaginative courses in a forest which is beautiful running at present. We look forward to seeing you.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 February 2004, 2:00 PM  
A 120kmh gale peaked between the two days of the Dune Tune at the weekend, although a large branch fell close to the registration tent and course planners has to saw their way past fallen trees. Amber Morrison (17yrs) amazed the elite women by winning Saturday's mass-start race, while Karl Dravitski won the mens class on both days. Hawkes Bay won the Frank Smith Interclub contested Sunday. Results on the OHV wesbite soon.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 24 February 2004, 4:27 AM  
Results are now posted. http://www.mapsport.co.nz/hvoc/dt2004.html#results

Great to see the large number of junior girls out racing. Amber showing up the elite women and 10 W18's compared to just 4 M18s.

Karl looked pretty impressive on the weekend. The old campaginer must have upgraded to a 6 speed gear box since New Years.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 24 February 2004, 11:13 AM  
Lots of Junior Girls.

Amber beating all elites.

Damn I'm a good D squad coach.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 24 February 2004, 12:10 PM  
It's great to see lots of young talent coming through whether it's you, Neil, or Amber's father or Amber herself who deserves most of the credit...
So Karl is an old campaigner now - that must make Carsten and me almost prehistoric!

This message was edited by Jenni on 24 February 2004, 8:16 PM

Show Profile  Natalie Posted: 25 February 2004, 12:29 AM  
Carsten and I

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 25 February 2004, 1:28 AM  
Carsten and me - yellow card, Natalie.
Many thanks to Andrew and all the organisers for putting on a fine event under challenging conditions. If I'd run 10 seconds slower on day one, the tree that fell across the road in front of the car on the drive back to Palmy might have...

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 25 February 2004, 9:36 AM  
And a red card for Brent... where ever he is...

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz