maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Controldescriptions

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 18 November 2003, 1:12 AM  
As we are fast approaching 2004 it might be timely to remind people of the new IOF controldescriptions which takes effect from 01 January 2004.
It can be found on the IOF web site.
The direct link is:
http://www.orienteering.org/footo/IOF%20control%20Descriptions%202004.pdf

Show Profile  Brenda Boghopper Posted: 18 November 2003, 3:23 AM  
And, on the stroke of midnight 31 Dec 2003, most of the control stakes in New Zealand will become non-complying (R19.5) Fertile grounds for a complaint after a bad run: "I couldn't read the control codes because they were too small..." Heh, heh...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 November 2003, 10:27 AM  
And some maps, 'total climb of a course should normally not exceed 4% of the length of the shortest sensible route'

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 19 November 2003, 5:31 AM  
Greg, don't be a wuss.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 November 2003, 8:50 AM  
Chris I'm an orienteer and want to see orienteering races show who the best orienteer is, not the best mountain goat.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 19 November 2003, 12:05 PM  
Yes, but hills don't mean untechnical, and orienteering is supposed to include some physical component. I've also known lots of flattish courses which are pretty much just a running race.

Why should fast flat runners be given the advantage?

I believe the amount of climb should be dictated by the course, not the other way round. Climb is often needed/used to increase the route choice, variety and technical difficulty of the course.

P.S Go, mountain goats!

Show Profile  darren Posted: 21 November 2003, 12:55 AM  
Greg, don't be a wuss!!!!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz