maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

'NZOF' or 'Navigation Sport New Zealand'

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 15 August 2003, 9:49 AM  
Jamie,
Given your objectives, I would think "New Zealand Orienteering" is a much more appropriate name. Navigation is simply determining/directing ones route, where as Orienteering is the process of Navigating around a set of controls.
Ie, I would consider score events and rogaines to be a form (or variation) of orienteering rather than simply navigating.

As fraser has already said: Navigation isn't a sport, it is a skill. Orienteering is a sport.

Chris

Edited by - Chris Forne on 8/15/2003 5:52:22 PM

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 17 August 2003, 8:46 AM  
If "Navigation sport New Zealand" can siphon off some of the funding going into yachting (a navigation sport if ever there was one) then I'm all for it.

Show Profile  ecurb Posted: 20 August 2003, 2:59 AM  
Navigation Sport NZ. What a lot of crap! Obviously thought up by the king with 234 postings to his credit!

Is the number of postings a measure of an active thinking mind or is a measure of foot in the mouth disease?

Jamie the king on 234 well clear of Fraser on 176, Rob C on 171, Simon on 160, and Greg on only 144. Obviously you all have active thinking minds with lots of sensible reasoning! :-)

How about Orienteering NZ and concentrating on what we know best rather than trying to take over the world

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 20 August 2003, 3:20 AM  
Hooray for ecurb!

I concur!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 August 2003, 3:28 AM  
Probably a bit of both Bruce, active mind and foot in the mouth.

Also the tendency to post whenever I check maptalk without considering twice the possible readership.

Perhaps the idea is 'crap' but surely this forum is an appropriate place to put it out there...

Reactionary 'idiots' responding with a three or four word criticism do not really help the process, whats the point? What are you trying to achieve with your posting?

I really valued Frasers comment that initiatives should come from a club level, the problem is at the moment these initiatives are lacking...and clubs are failing. At the moment it is my job to think about the reasons for this and develop strategies to change the current situation. Some of the wilder (or before their time) ideas I come up with I will put on this forum and I hope other posters will accept them in this spirit.

This is a great forum for debating ideas, something that I love doing. I am not ashamed of my 230 odd posts Bruce, this site has been going for about 5 years now and the people you list have been the regular posters from the beginning. And besides Rob's got about 20 other pseudonyms so he's winning.

Go the NZOF

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 August 2003, 3:31 AM  
I'm still waiting for Stu's great idea from that other thread

Show Profile  mark Posted: 20 August 2003, 4:58 AM  
jamie sux

i've got more posts than him

Show Profile  mark Posted: 20 August 2003, 4:59 AM  
And not one of my posts has been sensible.

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 20 August 2003, 1:06 PM  
A name change is probably necesary, to recognise that orienteering in New Zealand has changed a lot since the federation was formed 30 years ago.

I don't think Navigation Sport NZ is the right way either. I feel that "orienteering" should be incorporated in the name, because that it what it is.

The name doesn't have to be complicated and confuse people. Navigation Sport is ambiguis(however you spell that), as other people have stated, because so many other sports involve navigation.

What's wrong with <b>Orienteering New Zealand</b>, I think some one has already suggested that.
Or you could just keep it the same...

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 20 August 2003, 1:07 PM  
Reactionary 'idiots'

those in glass house should not throw stones....

Just a little longer Jamie, all will be revealed.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 20 August 2003, 8:21 PM  
Jamie most of your crap postings aren't worth more than 3 or 4 words in reply!

Paul S why do you say the federation has changed? Were you there 30 years ago, I'd say it would be fair to say the sport of ORIENTEERING has changed in the last 30 years but it is still ORIENTEERING and the sport in New Zealand should be run under a name of the governing body of what it is,
NEW ZEALAND ORIENTEERING FEDERATION.

Why waste time and money on changing a name when there are bigger problems in orienteering to deal with and much better uses of the money.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 21 August 2003, 2:18 AM  
Why don't you call it the New Zealand Crapsport Federation.

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 21 August 2003, 8:30 AM  
The reason why most people don't put foward ideas on here is because people like Greg think that its there god given right to go and attack what was merely a suggestion. Get a life man.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 22 August 2003, 1:52 AM  
your guess is wrong

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 August 2003, 3:41 PM  
I think Jamie has an interesting idea. It came up in my club a couple of years ago (a club which runs events outside Jenni's definition, to wit rogaines with durations of 3hrs and up, orienteering on bikes, and traditional orienteering with winning times of 15min or so. This is attracting different participants, and gradually they are becoming members too.

One of these members (who is now a committee member) suggested that many might perceive the word orienteering is not covering these broader activities. So we chewed it over for a while and last AGM put up a proposal to rename the club "Mapsport Hutt Valley".

There were those who felt that the word "orienteering" had a lot of recognition and it would be a pity to give that up. There were others who felt the name might be confused with an orienteering business which uses the name (although there seems to be no problem with businesses using "orienteering" in their name.) Anyway, the votes were tied. According to normal procedure the chairman used his casting voted to stick with the status quo. But it was a close-run thing.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz