maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Superseries 2004

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 June 2003, 7:11 AM  
With the conclusion of the 2003 series still fresh, its a good time to post any suggestions for the next one. I have called this thread "2004" as that is the year the next one will end, but I envisage it starting in spring 2003.

Michael Wood, Superseries Manager.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 June 2003, 9:56 AM  
While I have a fair idea of what is and isn't possible, I'd like to let this discussion have free rein for a bit. Then I'll post a draft proposal for comment.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 5 June 2003, 10:06 AM  
A (short) prizegiving/award ceremony for each race , straight after each race.

Club O suits mandatory.

Race numbers to be worn.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 5 June 2003, 4:18 PM  
At short or sprint events Elites starting last (with commentary) to get some spectator value, (starting first does not work)

Show Profile  addison Posted: 5 June 2003, 11:54 PM  
Is their going to be a park race in the super series? just for added spectator value.

Show Profile  Natalie Posted: 6 June 2003, 3:19 AM  
Go the Spring to Autumn Super Series, go the Club O Suits, go the spectator Park-o's with Elites running last (with commentary). Go the Southern 6-day. Go Super Series 2003 too, what a great start.
Go the Super Series website. Go more publicity for a bigger and better Series for 2004.
Go the community trust travel funds. Stop the massive delays in distributing travel funds.
Go a variety of event types, and everything else that worked really well for 2003.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 6 June 2003, 3:50 AM  
yeah, travel funds that actually arrive sometime (from a poor student elite perspective)

club O suits ???? shouldn't we be looking at super series zones uniforms...it should be relatively easy to get funding for this from pub charity...?? Is this a role for the super sereis manager or the zones?

decent team names....ok the Storm, its established but how about the "Auckland Dunes" and the "Wellington Scrub".

4 rounds before Christmas, 2 each at Auckland Champs and South Island Champs

4? rounds during Jan, Southern Six Day

4? rounds before nationals, 2 each in South and North Island

3 rounds during nationals

3 at Queens Birthday

Travel funds to cover interisland travel, no flying fom Palmerston North to Auckland when free seat in parents car or flying from Auckland to Wellington and driving to Wairarapa...whats the situation this year has there been a blow-out? (or is my refund sitting around somewhere?)

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 6 June 2003, 12:42 PM  
So Jamie you are going to not fly from Christchurch to Wellington if an event is in the Wellington area as ChristChurch is closer than Auckland!

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 7 June 2003, 4:47 AM  
I think the first race should be Auckland Champs: Why?
Electronic punching
Good area's (Woodhill)
Should be well organised.
The four best resident Australians will be there. Having more competition will be better for the super series and be more beneficial for the Australians. This would help the aussies value their trip to NZ and increase the likelyhood of future ANZ tests.
The travel funding for the super series would help the NZ test team (should any of the south Islanders be good enough),. Non test team members will want to go the the Auckland champs regardless to compete against the Aussies if they had super series funds they could afford it.

Auckland champs sounds like it would be the only decent multiday in the upper north Island.

The other events which should be included are Southern 6 day and perhaps nationals as a final.
I think Queens birthday is abit to far away if the Auckland champs are used to start the series. I don't think anybody wants to organise an event at queens birthday yet.

I don't think we should have lots of rounds (as Jamie suggested)
I think 3 or 4 rounds (Each round consisting of numourous events) was a good number as it gave each one more significance and made for strong turnouts in each.

I think the event variation is a good idea. ie Atleast one long, one sprint, one short and the remaining medium/classic length (perhaps a Mass start or teams event for the team competition?)

I think Fraser may have suggested once that we use the superseries sprint or mass start race to publicise our sport to school children. ie we hold a spectator friendly race of elites after/at the New Zealand Secondary schools (or north Island or Otago etc).
This will help the NZOF support the series if we make the series valuable to them in terms of promotion.

Regards
Neil K

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 7 June 2003, 1:45 PM  
To do the SS thing Neil, 2 things need to happen

Either have a Super series race at the SS nationals which would mean more orgianation for the hosting club (this is so Elites can get the funding to go as it normaly on a weekend in July)

Or change the time of the National SS so that they might co-inside with another major event when all the Elites are there already and then they can also get the added bonus of seeing/competing in the other events.

This probably doesn't belong under this thread so I'll stop now

Greg

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 8 June 2003, 9:19 AM  
so what do you want Neil?

a round at the Auckland Champs, then Southern 6-Day, then a round at Nationals?

nothing like expressing a coherent package instead of just dishing someone elses suggestion...someone who actually put a little bit of thought into it.

presumably you want some build-up to Nationals...a couple of super series rounds maybe as I suggested, or is the summer series enough for you?

ok so QB is too late for you, I accept that argument, but should Nationals be the final event of the super series? I don't think so, the focus at Nationals is on winning the individual race, becoming National champion for the year, the overall result of the super series would dwindle into irrelevance.

I think we need a final super series wekend after Nationals,maybe QB isn't the right time, maybe we should hold it earlier, say 3 weeks after nationals. This weekend would be in the opposite island from Nationals, i.e next year in the South Island.

Presuming you agree with these propositions Neil, actually having a build-up consisting of super series events to Nationals, and having a super series finals weekend then our only disagreement is the amount of rounds in Spring, and I find your proposal to have but one round ludicrous and offensive to my club which is running a perfectly good multi-day on new maps...which is more than can be said for the Auckland Champs.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 8 June 2003, 11:35 AM  
Jamie what are you blabbing on about, if you actually read what Neil said you would see that he did suggest including several if not all of the days from the Southern six day. - One round but numerous days.
And if your club is holding another multi-day event before QBday I am unaware of it.

Jamie:
> Presuming you agree with these propositions Neil, actually having a build-up consisting of > super series events to Nationals, and having a super series finals weekend then our only > disagreement is the amount of rounds in Spring, and I find your proposal to have but one > round ludicrous and offensive to my club which is running a perfectly good multi-day on > new maps...which is more than can be said for the Auckland Champs.

Also, you should be pleased that someone might actually agree with some of the things you suggest. - don't be so abusive.

Chris

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 8 June 2003, 12:23 PM  
quote:
nothing like expressing a coherent package instead of just dishing someone elses suggestion...someone who actually put a little bit of thought into it.

If your idea of thinking is some rubbish Jamie-South Island-allegiant-coveting, then I guess you made a point in your reply. But Michael asked for this to be a suggestions forum. I think that means everyone should feel free to suggest their ideas, without fearing the wrath of Jamie.
I believe we should not try and squeeze all and more events just because they are there. We need to focus on enough quality events that ensure all competitors are available and able to compete, whether financially or physically. The "interim" super series was a success because all events had strong, full fields which were worthy of superseries events. If there are too many rounds then competitors would possibly have to travel more than they could afford and perhaps not attend all events.
I also think the nationals should be the final event. It would mean there is the most spectators, usually the most competitors and would give us a perfect stage to have the prizegiving. It would also signal the winding down of the season and allow our international competitors to start there WC training.
I agree their should be a prizegiving after every SS event. Even right at the moment the last competitor finishes and the results are known. Kind of like Tour de France.
I also believe club or area uniforms should be compulsory. On this note if we are going to have team events, why not have one event aimed solely at team points and not individuals. Perhaps the Superseries relay? Day 3 of QB3 this year might be a good format.

Disclaimer: these are just suggestions - chill Jamie
Better get back to work.....

Edited by - stu barr on 8/06/2003 20:23:54

Edited by - stu barr on 8/06/2003 20:24:39

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 8 June 2003, 1:42 PM  
so what do you want Neil? Not to go bald.

a round at the Auckland Champs, then Southern 6-Day, then a round at Nationals? Yes

nothing like expressing a coherent package instead of just dishing someone elses suggestion...someone who actually put a little bit of thought into it. Didn't dish your suggestion merely said I think it should be 3-4 events. That was what my previous thoughts were (back when I put some thought into it)

presumably you want some build-up to Nationals...a couple of super series rounds maybe as I suggested, or is the summer series enough for you? I don't think we need super series as build up for nationals. Yes we need relevent races, not just summer series only.

the focus at Nationals is on winning the individual race, becoming National champion for the year, the overall result of the super series would dwindle into irrelevance. You have a good point. I agree an effort would need to be made for the Super Series not to fall into the shadow of the Nationals.

I think we need a final super series wekend after Nationals,maybe QB isn't the right time, maybe we should hold it earlier, say 3 weeks after nationals. This weekend would be in the opposite island from Nationals, i.e next year in the South Island. How about 3 weeks before and have the super series final as your build up, find a champion before the Nationals...could add to the hype..."series winner favourite for Nationals" etc The hard thing would be finding a good quality map and organisers and sport Ident and spectators for this extra event.

Presuming you agree with these propositions Neil, (Don't presume anything Jamie)
I find your proposal to have but one round ludicrous and offensive to my club which is running a perfectly good multi-day on new maps...which is more than can be said for the Auckland Champs. Firstly the Auckland champs maps haven't been announce yet so shut the hell up. Secondly I think we may be argueing at cross purposes.
To me a "round" is a group of events held over a week or weekend eg the Southern six day.
So I'm proposing 3-4 rounds with 10-12 events/races counting for the super series.

Greg, it doesn't have to be the National secondary school champs, perhaps a regional one. please try and keep an open mind to these suggestions. Open mind and closed potty mouth.

Kind regards (you can take that personally Jamie)

Neil

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 8 June 2003, 7:48 PM  
Suggestion , Since there is no variation in the Southern Six Day this should not be used as a round.

Is there going to be any rules of such in terms of embargoing maps that are going to be used for up coming SS races?? And something along the lines of the maps in question being updated (Naseby in question??)

If we want the teams thing to have a team feel about it we should have a team event. Relay, pairs race what ever as long as it is a team event.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 8 June 2003, 11:08 PM  
Suggestion, since Bruce Collins has already stated in another thread that he is recommending to the Southern 6 Day organisers to change the program for M21E's, the Southern 6 Day should be used as a round.

I agree that quality of maps/events needs to be a factor in determining the program. I'm sure Michael will take that into account. I agree that embargoing areas to elites should also be done once the program is established.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz