maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Season + timing of Nationals (again)

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 3 April 2009, 11:37 AM  
Also Nick, instead of writing that preface you could just delve through the archive files of maptalk and read every post .....

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 4 April 2009, 2:55 PM  
Interesting comment Greg re old buggers doing the planning to build up for the Masters - this is in fact true (in part), as is the fact that the planning aimed to also build up for the various other O'seas events (WOC, JWOC, Oz champs). Unlike a (very) few "young buggers" who may believe o'ing revolves entirely around Elite racing, the old buggers seem to be able to keep a wider perspective that accommodates all age grades, including Elites. If you hadn't noticed, the bulk of orienteers are in fact non Elites. Don't get me wrong, having a competitive and strong Elite scene is critical to growing the sport, but don't undervalue the large volume of A graders who are also critical and fill out the bulk of the fields, and in fact fulfill much of the "planning" organising and administering that this sport seems to need so much of! :-)

Look forward to seeing you out there Greg - who knows, i may even be passing you! :-)

Show Profile  greenteeth Posted: 5 April 2009, 10:51 AM  
On a trip around NZ back in the mid-90's, the local hot topic was the timing of your Nationals! Strewth, in the red corner was the Labour Weekend Camp and in the blue corner the Queens Birthday one.
I recall a strong OY series around the Auckland districts which lead well into Area Champs then Nationals. Not sure where things have gone these days...but the same old debate could make a guys teeth fall out.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 April 2009, 11:39 AM  
They have.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 5 April 2009, 2:29 PM  
classic! nice one Michael!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 6 April 2009, 3:24 AM  
Well Pete I dont think you old buggers are pulling your weight, last year of the 23 events listed on the NZOF stats site, the number of 'young fellars' vs 'old buggers' in terms of planning, controlling and organising is at 31:24 (give or take with some rules I made up).
So maybe you should check the facts before you go making wild claims, next we'll have Rob C and Simon actually thinking they could drum up enough strength get up from their computer chairs and sumo

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 April 2009, 5:00 AM  
Now, that could be entertaining!

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 6 April 2009, 5:52 PM  
Greg, you've obviously got too much time on your hands - we're flat out organising for Easter and you're busy at home counting stats! :-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 April 2009, 7:24 PM  
On www.mapsport.co.nz/hvoc/particip08.html there's a list of volunteers. Using -39yrs and 40+ with the benefit of doubt in favour of young, it goes young=23, old=49. Not on the page but there's a proposed higher level for a volunteer recognition scheme, and for those volunteers the figures would be young=10 old=27. But of course there's lies, damned lies, and...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 7 April 2009, 2:11 AM  
Pete - at work, wouldn't waste my home time
Michael - I said my own rules for the stats, just like everyone else does on this site, also it wasn't on age, it was on perception eg Carsten went as an young fellar, but Marquita as an old bugger
Nick - you disturb me

Show Profile  nick Posted: 7 April 2009, 10:18 AM  
A six pack of Tui for the winner.

At Nationals dinner, best of three.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 7 April 2009, 6:40 PM  
so if being old or young isn't based on age, but on pereception - what is it exactly you are percieving?? sounds a bit like the "cool wall" in top gear - all v subjective, but entertaining nonetheless! :-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 April 2009, 8:15 PM  
Michael's rules: a young fellar is one who plans, controls or organises. That's right isn't it Marquita?

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 8 April 2009, 5:04 AM  
Maybe it's that you're young while you're still fooling yourself by running elites. Marquita is anyway, at least 2 or 3 years older than Carsten.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 8 April 2009, 5:08 AM  
Nah it was more the case that she does MTBO, hence making her an old bugger

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz