1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Are elites wusses?

Show Profile  mark Posted: 12 June 2003, 6:03 AM  
-

Show Profile  mark Posted: 12 June 2003, 6:11 AM  

Edited by - mark on 1/07/2003 12:15:32

Show Profile  addison Posted: 12 June 2003, 8:39 AM  
quote:
some people still think that what is written on this forum is gospel and a complete exercise of direct democracy..whats with you guys...Simon...Greg...how about you organise a carnival this summer...and if you say no I'm a serious elite I have to compete...well then at least train for it.

Now Jamie. I have some serious concerns about this paragraph you wrote, and what else you have written in the past. Do I regard myself as a serious athlete, answer is no. And anyone who knows anything about me and my ambitions, will know that my 'serious' future has been put on hold because of ongoing knee problems. It is only now that I have the ability to begin running consistently for training.

And Jamie. You may be the Coaching Director now, but please step down off your throne for once. Come to the realisation that a Short Race will be good for the Southern Six Day Festival. 100% of the possible overseas competitors so far have said the current schedule is shit. Most of us have said its shit.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 12 June 2003, 9:54 AM  
Thank you for the reply Bruce. I guess it may be a valid reason to have the long race on certain maps - do those maps have to be on those days? Guess there may be geographical or logistical reasons.... But isn't day 1 quite close to day 2 - their maps have quite similar names it seems...? Maybe - just maybe they could be swapped?

Was there anyone who didn't want a short (or shorter) race? Maybe Chris in hard-man-mode.... I'm not familiar with all the different terrains but can think that a 45min race on day one through the most technical parts of Naseby would be fantastic! Naseby at high speed and under pressure - much better than cruising around at classic speed being careful not to miss in the tricky parts. You could even have afternoon starts so people could do the last part of the trip that morning - being a shorter race wouldn't be too long a day for the organisers.

Bruce - if you want Rob's, Carsten's, Darren's etc. opinion why don't you email them - I can send you their addresses if you want. We really appreciate all the work you're doing and even more that you have taken the time to ask for some input regarding race-format.

Mark - why is it that only when write something longer than 2 lines that it comes out of your head instead of the other end ;-)

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 12 June 2003, 10:41 AM  
quote:
Do you believe that the Classic discipline is the only valid form of orienteering?

I almost wrote a comment along these lines earlier but didn't want to be negative in a constructive debate (I know I can't claim to do this all the time).
But I feel it is an appropriate comment. I don't wish to sound ungrateful for an event which has been put on from the shoulders of one couple, but it appears the Bruce Collins hatred of short events has reared it's ugly head. I know in history, Bruce, you have entered elite grades on the Short-o days to get "your moneys worth" because "you don't travel to orienteering events for only half an hour of competing".
These are statements you made quite a few years ago at the introduction of short-o's. I can't even imagine what you would write now about sprint orienteering! I just hope it isn't your own personal dislike for the short format that has lead to the layout of the series.

quote:
2 Not many other events go to the trouble of conferring with M21E that I can remember. Most entry forms don't even say what lengths elites will run.

I think you should listen to what has been said. Not just the bits you wanted to hear.

Regards Stu

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 12 June 2003, 11:11 AM  
Simon, is that supposed to be a sympathy note. I think you missed the point. Jamie is trying to point out that you should be thankful that someone is putting together a great set of orienteering events, rather than calling them shit. Sure they may not be what you want, but that doesn't make them shit. And if you really think they are, don't turn up, quite your abuse and do something else constructive.

Chris

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 June 2003, 12:04 PM  
Jamie pull your bald southern head out of your ass and get off that high chair you think your on. I recommented on what Bruce said would be the program oh is that just ment to be an option now as well. Bruce get your quotes from the right person before naming someone!

Fact of the matter Normaly the organisers don't need to confur with Elites as they normaly follow the rules for a multiday event, There are 4 types of orienteering that have a Wolrd Champ tag with them, Why the fuck do we normaly only organise 1 of these.

Your point on having a classic on Naseby doesn't make sense, a technical map would be much better for a short race than a classic, to have a worth while classic on Naseby you'd need about 50 controls for a 105 min winning time and thats just stupid.

Plus you asked for people option Bruce and its seems like you only listened to Jamie. Hope you don't think about restricting which grades people can run

Show Profile  addison Posted: 12 June 2003, 12:42 PM  
Chris. I have not said the actual event is shit. I have just said that the schedule is. In terms of competition days and rest days it is fine. Im saying that the type of events at the moment are shit. Who wants to run classic after classic. We need variation. The Score should be good. And a short race will be good. Before you say what you think I mean, read what I say again, and then comment.

On another note, I also thank Bruce for organising this event. It should be good if he takes peoples advice! What I have directed abuse at is Bruce's idea of classic after classic, and is not a personal abuse attack on Bruce. I commend him for bringing his ideas to the forum. And everyone must realise that critisism is good. Public debate is only effective if it improves the original idea.

Edited by - Simon Addison on 12/06/2003 20:53:17

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 June 2003, 1:20 PM  
Jamie before you go making wild comments about organising events get your facts right, How many events have you organised this year and at what level.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 13 June 2003, 1:10 AM  
Alistair - I didn't write that post. onemanfanclub did. It's only under my name because I wiped onemanfanclubs post while testing the security of maptalk. I can edit anyones post (until Fraser fixes his hole)

Show Profile  ecurb Posted: 13 June 2003, 1:58 AM  
Sorry I can't resist replying to Greg

"Fact of the matter Normaly the organisers don't need to confur with Elites as they normaly follow the rules for a multiday event"

Look at rule 16.11 Greg - "It is recommended that for 2 day events the 1st day is 100% and the 2nd day 90%. For the 3rd or more days WITHOUT a rest day the distance is 70%"

Therefore
Day 1 - 105 mins
Day 2- 94.5 mins
REST
Day 3 - 105 mins
REST
Day 4 - 105 mins
REST
Day 5 - 105 mins
Day 6 - 94.5 mins

Compare that with what you are getting - two 105 min races, three 70 min races and one 60 min race.

Just to add to that the RULES say the reduced percentages do not apply to A level events.

Therefore if we followed the rules to the letter you would have had ALL 105 min races apart from the 60 min score event.

If you think the rules are wrong complain to the Technical committee.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 13 June 2003, 3:01 AM  
Well I can resist replying to Greg.

Chocolate fish to the person who gets this thread up to 100 posts. Have we ever had that before?

Show Profile  runningbeast Posted: 13 June 2003, 5:03 AM  
I

Show Profile  runningbeast Posted: 13 June 2003, 5:04 AM  
really

Show Profile  runningbeast Posted: 13 June 2003, 5:04 AM  
would

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz