maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

M/W10

Show Profile  lapun Posted: 25 May 2003, 2:15 AM  
Simon:

Try Michael Wood about the unit standards stuff. It is also possible that a few secondary teachers might have been involved and/or consulted. Check with Mike Grayburn.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 May 2003, 1:22 PM  
Michael Wood knows about the orienteering unit standards; they define what a competent white, yellow, orange, and red orienteer are. They are written in educational jargon, and there is some supplementary stuff in ordinary English in the Coaching pages of the NZOF website.

Michael Wood doesn't know anything about how educational institutions (which have to be registered with NZQA) actually run their assessments and register achievement on the NZQA database. Nor about how NCEA works. For this you need a teacher in one of these institutions, and who has read the unit standards and the NZOF supplement. Could be a SS teacher like Mike Grayburn or an OEC teacher like Alan Oates.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 26 May 2003, 7:50 AM  
Mike Grayburn has no idea who made them. He doesnt even know what has happend to the unit standards that are around now. He told me that the Putaruru High School used to be a proper facility thing for them, but now cannot give out orange / red course completion unit standards.

What I prupose is making some NCEA Achievement Standards, which can teach orienteering schools and mark these. Perhaps having physical components where they need to go orienteering might help.

The basis of orienteering growing in schools, is that students have incentives. Perhaps qualification components in subjects will be an incentive.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 26 May 2003, 11:25 AM  
My long absence from this forum is now over.

ok,

Neil, thanks for your contribution you have obviously put a lot of thought and effort towards it, although it is apparent to someone with some semblance of legal training that the presentation of your facts were skewed towards a pre-set conclusion. I am disappointed that you didn't consider my "revised idea" or present any evidence of this 'bureaucratic" stuff.

The revised process is pretty simple, a junior decides they want to run-up, they ring up the coaching director and say "hey you I'm really talented I want to run up, I have these reasons....., is this ok? The coaching director thinks "mmmm", and says either "yes, you are the best thing in orienteering since E-Punching , run-up and make sure you keep orienteering in a consistent, structured manner, or no, I don't think it would be a good idea for......reasons (and tries to talk the junior out of it), if the junior doesn't then they can run up, at the expense of their orienteering development. (Yes the Coaching Director should generally know what is better for the juniors development than the junior themselves). This process is not really that complicated.

Neil, re option 2 (no shit)

Neil, re option 3 interesting ideas, some out of reach. You talk of a competiton for M/W 20. I think this is good in theory but as you recognise the competiton isn't there. The idea that is germinating in my head at the moment is that sometime in the future at a QB event (the culmination of the Super Series, we may be able to introduce a "prospects event" consisting of a race for juniors under 20 (including those in lower grades).

The idea is that these juniors will be part of the super series teams from their team. Here I use the word 'team' in its wider sense, not just those elites that compete, but those that train with them and support them at a regional level.

Incidentally progress has been made, and following discussions it has been decided to align the super series teams with the National squad zones, the purpose of these bodies is to

a) compete at the super series events for their region/zone
b) serve as a training/motivational body for elites/potential elites/competitve veterans in their region
c) talent identification/ role model responsibilities.

note, sometime soon it will be 'alright' to be an elite outside the national squad in NZ, and the super series teams will serve as a vehicle to support these people.

"job descriptions" for the roles of Team Captain and some kind of managerial role are being drafted and hopefully these appointments will be made in time to allow preparation for the next super series.

anyway, that was a stream of consciousness

Neil, I really liked your idea about M/W 20 running part of the same course as elites (but are the numbers on Course 1 and 2 low enough to make this viable? (feel free to research this if you like). It would also necessiatate a spectator control on the elite courses but is this necessarily a bad thing?

Stu, absolutely

Simon, the NCEA stuff is my responsibility, but I'm afraid it has been out prioritised by other projects, and I will sort it out thoroughly next year or maybe the year after, (if NZOF keeps me on). The focus now is getting coaching going in clubs and maintaining/enhancing the high performance set-up (hopefully these will have spin-offs for coaching in schools in the future...ie more available tutors etc)...sorry if this is unacceptable to you.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 26 May 2003, 1:47 PM  
Sounds fine.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 26 May 2003, 2:13 PM  

Edited by - Neil K on 27/05/2003 10:19:04

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 1 September 2003, 1:15 PM  
Just seen this link to the courses for the Finnish champs. What the Finnish 16 year-olds have to contend with.....

Link

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 1 September 2003, 2:51 PM  
I wonder what they had for the afternoon race.....

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz