maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Wrong controls and Sportident

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 1 May 2003, 7:13 AM  
What I want to know is: why can't a single control be made invalid when it is in the wrong place rather than the entire course? Surely with Sportident it is a simple task to subtract everyones times for just that control.

Now before you reply and say that a mistake on one control affects the whole course, and therefore that course should be invalidated, you should realise that this is just the same as saying that a race affects a series, and therefore the whole series should be invalidated.
Its all a matter of scale. Surely the effect of invalidating a single control on the outcome of a series is less than invalidating an entire course.

Chris

Show Profile  That Claire Girl Posted: 1 May 2003, 2:42 PM  
I agree!!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 2 May 2003, 7:47 AM  
Chris. I can see where you are coming from.

But.

Say you were to invalidate that control using Sport Ident, can cause problems.

First of all, say someone went straight into the wrong control. No time lost. But for those who end up running around madly for large amounts of time, it can put strain on their body / mind. After running round, they are at a disadvantage to the person who nails the control. And perhaps later in the race this person is tierd enough to make mistakes where they wouldn't have had the control been in the right place. This is why you cannot just remove one split (well theoretically two as you have to thake the split before and after the wrong control.)

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz