maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Vandalism of controls

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 5 May 2016, 3:49 AM  
O Waikato had 3 controls with SI boxes vandalised at a recent event in a urban park. It would seem that SI boxes are not designed to being smashed against a tree by someone swinging the control standard at speed.

Of course we knew this was always the risk but we have been lucky for a few years with no problems.

Can I have some feedback on what other clubs do for their urban events?
Do you use SI for these events? Do you use other equipment or tactics to lower the risks? Or perhaps you just accept losses occasionally?
Thanks in advance.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 May 2016, 5:51 AM  
OHV accepts the risks. Haven't had smashing but just theft. Sometimes they are found in the bushes nearby.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 5 May 2016, 7:20 AM  
NOC had one found and returned after over a year. Still works fine. We were nervous as hell for the National Sprint Champs though...

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 11 May 2016, 3:35 AM  
This won't stop outright vandalism but have you considered adding little tags to the SI boxes and controls with a note saying that this is part of an organised event and that the control shouldn't be touched. Along with a contact email/website.

Sometimes it's kids who think it's just been left behind and a note might be enough to give them second thoughts about touching it. And if a member of the public finds the control then you have more chance of getting it back. Plus it's cheap to make up a few laminated cards to attach to the controls.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 11 May 2016, 4:11 AM  
I have found Greig's note suggestion to work reasonably well although I will admit this was prior to SI boxes.

My laminated note (both sides) said: "Orienteering in Progress, Please leave alone", with club name and phone number.

I had a hole punched in a corner and hooked the card on with a rubber band.

The card was about the size of a business card.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 11 May 2016, 5:24 AM  
When I first competed in China many years ago they posted a soldier near each control to stop the peasants pinching them. Whist orienteering it often became spot the soldier first, then find the control.

Show Profile  PaulTS Posted: 14 May 2016, 1:09 AM  
>spot the soldier first, then find the control
When attack points become more real?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 14 May 2016, 5:36 AM  
You haven't been to China for a while mapguy. I hear there are no controls these days, you just take a selfie with the soldier.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 14 May 2016, 12:59 PM  
I like it!! It was in pre electronic punching days. One has to move with the times :-)

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 16 May 2016, 2:53 AM  
JWOC in Switzerland 2005 we had soldiers watching over the controls... some of them thought it was a good opportunity to have a smoke... so if you were nearby you could sniff out the control!

Also once found a control that had been left out in the sandunes in Dunedin for about a year, still complete with a clipper although someone (student?) had obviously found it at some point and set the flag on fire cause it was a bit melted when I picked it up!

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 16 May 2016, 10:53 AM  
So scarfies just don't burn couches? It must be really cold down there in winter :-)

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz