maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Disappointing use of RouteGadget

Show Profile  AlisterM Posted: 10 May 2016, 3:28 PM  
That is definitely a shout out for someone to take on the paid ONZ role of Event Liaison which was first advertised in December, to assist with major event co-ordination, promotion and management.

Purpose: The Event Liaison role is responsible for the interaction between ONZ and clubs to ensure clubs are well supported to deliver key national events through providing direct event management support and best practice and volunteer training as required.

Remuneration: Contracted at $25/hr (10 hours/week)

Principal Tasks & Performance Expectations
The primary task of this role is to provide leadership, motivation, direction and support to clubs to enable them to deliver international, national and regional events which is inline with the Orienteering NZ Strategic Plan.
Fixture Management
Develop and coordinate with clubs to produce an Annual and Long Term Event Calendar
 confirm key event details with clubs at least a year in advance, incorporating the requirements of the Performance Leader and Technical Committee
 provide recommendations to Council for strategic changes to major events and long term event planning if
required

Event Management and Support
To assist clubs with the planning of such events and to undertake checks to ensure that appropriate levels of
logistical and resource allocations are in place to ensure a successful outcome.
 work alongside clubs hosting major events and provide assistance as required, reporting to Council on a regular basis
 provide oversight and coordination with clubs and ONZ Committee requirements (for example Mapping and Technical)
 work alongside local authorities, DOC and major landowners to ensure consistency with event delivery, such as access, concessions, health and safety requirements

Volunteer Training
Develop and lead the volunteer training programme for Orienteering NZ
 prepare an Annual Training Development and Delivery Plan for ONZ Council approval
 work with the Technical and Mapping Committees or working groups to develop and update training
resources as appropriate
 ensure training resources are in accordance with Orienteering NZ policies
 identify suitable delivery methods for training programmes (be it in-person, workshop, online etc).
 engage with individuals for specific club-development training sessions as required
 liaise with clubs and individuals to determine need for volunteer training sessions
 coordinate workshops delivery including registrations, logistics and develop post-training session feedback
 identify opportunities for using visiting international orienteers to assist with volunteer training

Communication
 Upload relevant information to Orienteering NZ website
 Ensure the Events Calendar is up to date with regular programme updates and relevant event information
 work with the Technical and Mapping Committees to maintain technical training updates
 inform the membership of training and development opportunities, resources and initiatives, blogs
 make available event management best practice
 prepare regular progress reports for ONZ Council

Attend to such administrative tasks as necessary to ensure the effective functioning of the position
 work with other Orienteering NZ employees, volunteers and Council to support collective objectives
 maintain records of expenditure and provide receipts for reimbursement
 maintain records of correspondence
 liaise with other people/organisations as required
 provide reports to the Orienteering NZ Council as required

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 11 May 2016, 8:19 AM  
@mcroxford: I spoke with Dwayne, AOC's club captain and he confirmed Auckland would be uploading upcoming SPORTident events to Routegadget when possible.

Agree with AlisterM - the advertised vacancy role is very relevant. More details are here: http://www.orienteering.org.nz/vacancies/

Following up to @onemanfanclub and @michael comments on current event planning I've started a new topic "ONZ Online - Updates" with some potential sources of relevant online information sources.
1. Competition Calendar. 2. Event Listings 3. O-Club e-newsletter

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 11 May 2016, 1:49 PM  
Someone from Nelson with excellent skills enquired just recently regarding the post and was advised that it had pretty much just been filled.

I am awaiting the announcement with baited breath otherwise the able person has been led astray...

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 11 May 2016, 1:53 PM  
Just to clarify. They emailed the General Manager and were told that she need not apply as ONZ were "just in the process of finalising an appointment for this position". I'm surprised you aren't aware Alister.

Show Profile  KevO Posted: 18 May 2016, 12:03 AM  
Where are the instructions for clubs to put events on to routegadget?

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 18 May 2016, 4:53 AM  
http://www.orienteering.org.nz/uncategorized/organisers-guide-how-to-add-events-onto-nz-routegadget/

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 18 May 2016, 5:00 AM  
Link added to ONZ Resources - Event & Course Planning page

http://www.orienteering.org.nz/resources/event-organisation/

Currently the Guide is based on the June 2010 version of the PDF document. Let me know of any areas needing improvement/update. Thanks.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 18 May 2016, 8:40 AM  
I like Routegadget.

When it first came out in NZ (about 2009)... a wise woman from Hawkes bay club (who I will not name, but whose last name is Morrison and whose first name starts with P) predicated that it would never be that popular.

I didn't believe her. But as in most things, she was correct.

I still think RG is great, but in this day of instant gratification, the youth of our sport obviously don't think RG is cool so it doesn't happen.

I suspect the only way it is every going to get major usage is if people record their route in the finish shute or their GPS tracker is auto uploaded.
As I can't see either of those things happening, I suspect RG will stutter on with minimal usage.

I hope I am wrong.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 18 May 2016, 11:12 AM  
one aspect of the latest version is that you can 'mass start' from each control, allowing for more interesting route analysis. RG also easily viewed on mobile phones for more instant gratification.
RG gets about as much interest as MT if there is anything in that.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2016, 1:59 PM  
I think that lifting a couple of fingers MIGHT be too much trouble, and you have to question the will to improve. OTOH Strava (which has a simple upload tool) has a fly-by feature which does a RG-type animation with any other tracks in the vicinity (time and place) of your one. So after an event there's a replay available of many Garmin-wearers.

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 18 May 2016, 2:20 PM  
I used to put my courses on RG. Initially manually but that became a pain because it relied on my brain actually remembering where I'd gone (especially when I f..ked up). Then I started to import my garmin tracks. This became too much of a hassle as well trying to line the track up with the course in RG - I guess I could have been doing something wrong that made it harder than it should be! Now I can't be bothered, better things to do with my time. I will occasionally go to RG to see if there are any routes loaded on my course but not often. Needs to be much easier/quicker to use (for me anyway).

Show Profile  Gavin Posted: 18 May 2016, 4:12 PM  
It seems that's why use of RG is not advancing - people have changed in this age of instant ability to do many things, yet can still find time to see what others have posted, and hello, no one else has bothered either. Self-perpetuating failure.

What useful things get done in the few minutes saved by not doing some clicks to enter in a route, I wonder? Putting away one's O gear, perhaps.

And there's no need to detail being lost if you don't know - a few spirals give the message. Before saving a route, there's a Comments box if you want to have a say.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 18 May 2016, 6:15 PM  
Allan - RG is now MUCH easier to use with a gps track. There are two options that help. The first is to use the winsplits data to put your track on top of the circles (an option when you load the track) and the other is to use the slider to adjust the start time forward or back in case you started your watch early or late.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 May 2016, 3:50 AM  
At the core of this is whether people are at all interested in improvement. I recall years ago in Sweden seeing 12-year-olds filling in analysis sheets leg by leg (and of course marking where they went on their maps). It's too hard to figure out how you f'd up? Then you'll do it again. And again. And again.

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 19 May 2016, 4:00 AM  
I agree with Dwayne, those of us who have been put off in the past by the hassle of making GPS tracks line up in RG should give it another go. The Splits based Calibration option works really well and I find that generally few or no adjustments are required.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz