maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Nationals 2017

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 21 October 2015, 7:34 PM  
Has it been decided that Nationals 2017 will be at Labour Weekend? Was Waitangi Weekend considered - Waitangi day is a Monday so it is also a long weekend and it seems to have the advantage that it is before Oceania so the Nationals could be used for a trial for the ANZ Challenge teams. As well as a good chance to prepare for Oceania and World Masters.
(And it also does not have the exam disadvantages of Labour Weekend - yes Greg, if students have done the work throughout the year they don't need to cram - usually they still need to study, and, from my observation of working at a university, they gain most of their "understanding" at this time! Unfortunately what they should do and what they actually do are quite different. However this is really beside the point, if you hold an event and you want people to come to it, then you need to cater for your customers, if they don't come, for whatever their reasons are, yes tough for them but also tough for your event's financial bottom line.)

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 21 October 2015, 9:00 PM  
Not aware of any discussion with clubs, I assume it was a decision made by ONZ Council.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 21 October 2015, 9:00 PM  
Not aware of any discussion with clubs, I assume it was a decision made by ONZ Council.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 23 October 2015, 1:42 AM  
It sure looks like Hawkes Bay are holding it at Labour Weekend. Presumably it was their turn to hold the nationals? Otherwise the logical thing would have been to make the Oceania races double as NZ champs. The only problem being Oceania actually has a proper relay whereas ONZ is a b-grade relay.

PAPO is down for Waitangi 2017 so that could still be used as trials and preparation as you suggest. And it is set for the JWOC trials.

It does look like the long term calendar has been altered, I'm sure South Island was down for the nationals in 2019 but now it is 2018.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz