maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Name of the future

Show Profile  MikeB Posted: 8 January 2015, 2:40 PM  
There is a young lady called Jessica Sewell who today gave the W14's a lesson on how to win and win well in Tasmania. She's a relative newcomer to the sport but mark my words once she gets another year of so of good competition under her belt she will be a star of the future.

She's always shown she has got what it takes, as she came through the W12's and couldn't wait to get into the more serious junior grades on slightly harder courses. I watched Alice Tilley develop into who she is now but I think Jess is more advanced at the same stage than Alice was.

Like Alice, she goes to Diocesan School for Girls, may have just turned 13 and will have some up and downs to begin with. Jesshe is still doing her apprenticeship in the sport but watch her fly once she learns the intricacies of what orienteering is all about.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 9 January 2015, 4:26 AM  
Yes, it was great to see Jessica's name up the top Mike. I'm glad she got over there. Its good you can see the obvious upward trend/improvement after 4 years between the girls. Hopefully Jessica finds a natural buddy to train with after Alice leaves school.

Another to consider is Lara Molloy's. Lara must be the youngest New Zealander to have ever taken a gap year to purposefully do an O-stint in Europe. Oceania is her first international test since returning. Results look great.

If they want to go onwards we must advise these kids to buddy up with the best ... the youngest JWOC on the podium this year said in his blog he was a second generation orienteer and trained with a World Cup winner who was in his club.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 9 January 2015, 5:11 AM  
And now I have spent my [rather long] lunchtime looking at the graphs on winsplits for the Oceania Middle Distance. Rebecca Greenwood has a great graph in her W12A run. And then you should all be aware of an awesome recovery that Kaia Joergensen made after a bit of a wobble during her run. Parents of both these girls should be very proud.

Show Profile  MikeB Posted: 9 January 2015, 11:40 AM  
Hi Jane. Yes it seems like Lara has been around for an eternity. I remember her in the schools team as a junior quite a few years ago and knew she had been overseas last year because she was at Oringen and had seen her name in the results. The year away has done her no harm looking at her form in Tasmania. The JWOC trials could be even tougher than they were last year looking at the talent we have about.

And yes it great to see these younger junior getting this sort of experience now as they will only be the better for it in a year or two.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz