maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Oceania Champs

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 January 2015, 3:44 AM  
Champions in the sprint are Larissa Edwards (W10), Rebecca Greenwood (W12), Danielle Goodall (W16), Alice Tilley (W18), Jean Cory-Wright (W50), Connor Cleary (M16), Tommy Hayes (M18), Fraser Mills (M35), Bill Edwards (M45), John Robertson (M50) and Ian Holden (M80). Spare a thought for two sets of siblings with two sets of 2nds: Tim and Laura Robertson (M/W21E) and Matthew and Tom harding (M12/14). There's no "Results" tab on the website oceania2015.com but try hovering over "Start Lists".

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 January 2015, 4:20 AM  
No results for yesterday's relay but a news item says that NZ and Australia were 10-all in the challenge! Australia missed a control in W21E "on the vital third leg while engaged in a tight tussle with the New Zealanders", and the M21E may have been close as well with the Aussies winning by 18 seconds. Clearly some fine performances in the other classes, you need three good runs in a relay whereas the best two count in the individuals. So Australia leads 25 to 15 with the middle and long to come.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 January 2015, 4:31 PM  
There's now a results tab on the website. Those kiwi relay results are extraordinary aren't they? Actually I can't see how the points work, we only picked teams in 16 classes didn't we? Did we have to default on some? I bet Blair and Derek have got everything worked out in their heads but it needs to be up in lights for us all to see.

Show Profile  svendp Posted: 6 January 2015, 5:34 AM  
Photos from Sprint Final
https://picasaweb.google.com/tutzon/WorldCupSprintFinaleLaunceston

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 6 January 2015, 8:31 AM  
Drama in the Oceania Middle M18s with Ed C-W showing DSQ for a bit then being reinstated as 1st. I am sure I am right that James Crosby maybe the only one to go up to M20s next year, all other NZers stay in that grade. Wow.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 January 2015, 12:36 PM  
Oceania champions in the middle distance are Kaia Jorgenson (W12) Danielle Goodall (W16) Kayla Fairbairn (W18) Lizzie Ingham (W21E) Gillian Ingham (W60) Matthew Harding (M12) Tom Harding (M14) Connor Cleary (M16) Ed Cory-Wright (M18) Fraser Mills (M35) Carsten Jorgensen (M40) Dave Middleton (M65) and Ian Holden (M80). So what's the challenge result? Isn't there something funny with the world cup runners having a separate middle? A "Challenge" tab would be good.

This message was edited by Michael on 6 January 2015, 8:40 PM

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 6 January 2015, 2:11 PM  
Ed C-W couldn't get a control to register today, so punched on the map. Initially Dsq then reinstated.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 6 January 2015, 3:42 PM  
Stand-down my previous post.(I hadn't switched to the new year properly).

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 6 January 2015, 4:31 PM  
For the ANZ Challenge, M&W 40, 50, 60 are compulsory grades. NZ had no M40 or W40 runners entered for Oceania so couldn't raise teams. We are defaulting these 2 grades in each Oceania event (as long as Aus team members aren't DNF or DSQ.

NZ also didn't put forward M60 or W60 teams. (W60 had only Gillian Ingham entered in W60 at the time of selection. M60 - don't know the reason).

NZ's W65 team was also withdrawn, but stands as a Challenge grade since it was nominated as such when grades were confirmed to Orienteering Australia in early October.

We have managed to create M60 and W60 teams this week - Bronwyn Holcombe changed from W55 to W60 to join Gillian and give us the required 2 counting runners. And Australian resident Kiwi Ted van Geldermalsen had his Hutt Valley membership confirmed to join Malcolm Ingham and John Parsons in M60.

In summary competition is across 20 grades but we only have teams for 17 of these. (So you could say that in the grades in which NZ had sufficient teams, we won today 8-7, but that wouldn't be compliant with the agreed rules).

The 2 elite grades for Middle will be contested on Thursday when the Oceania Middle distance race (for Elites only), takes place. Aus and NZ agreed not to name teams for these grades, and the 2 best times by NZ runners will be used for the Challenge. Ditto for Aus.

The Long Distance will also be contested across 2 days - Saturday for Elites when the World Cup is held, and Sunday for all other grades.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 January 2015, 4:47 PM  
Thanks ACW. Welcome back Ted!

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 6 January 2015, 5:00 PM  
M&W 40 50 and 60 are compulsory grades for ANZ Challenge. NZ didn't have sufficient entrants to Oceania to put forward M40 W40 or W60 teams. Also no M60 team entered for some reason. In addition the selected W65 team was withdrawn.

We now have M60 and W60 teams so are competing in 17 of the 20 nominated grades for this 2015 ANZ Challenge.

In the 15 grades we had runners for in the Middle Distance, we won 8 of them. The 2 Elite grades for Middle will be contested on Thursday in the World Cup and M/W 21E Oceania Champs. No nominated team members for Elite. The best 2 times from NZ count against the best 2 times by Australia.

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 6 January 2015, 5:03 PM  
Ignore the 2nd post. I got a message that the first one had failed.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 January 2015, 8:55 AM  
Good news on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-NZ-Orienteering/615745355183084?ref=br_tf

Am I imaging an undue number of mispunches this carnival? Though I too find it hard to keep cool in the presence of a rival:-))

Amongst the ANZ school test match (2nd half tomorrow), the wider ANZ challenge, Oceania titles, separate World Cup events with a possible ticket to WOC at stake, its seems there's also an ANZ elite test match. It's a lot to follow..

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 January 2015, 9:25 AM  
Unless some Aussies are hiding behind names ending in "mann" or "sson", I think NZ might have picked up two more points in the challenge. More to the point, 13th/20th in the mens world cup middle and 12th/17th in the women is tremendous!! Well done guys. And also to the school team, but watch out for runners named Key..

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 8 January 2015, 1:00 PM  
Great result for NZ today with both Matt Ogden and Lizzie Ingham the fastest Oceania competitors earning a spot for themselves at the World Champs this year!

Show Profile  kakesnz Posted: 10 January 2015, 1:59 PM  
Photos from 2nd January
https://plus.google.com/photos/100313534246636658719/albums/6101556657093281969?authkey=COOG97e4-_GxVA

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz