maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

MTBO World Champs

Show Profile  R2 Posted: 29 August 2014, 3:24 AM  
^well... he does have a gold medal for skiing (achieved at the age of 6) winning the Schweizer-Skischule race in Murren, Switzerland! But as this was slalom skiing, he may need to do a bit of training at cross country skiing to get 'up to speed' to take on Ski- O

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 7:31 AM  
Of course he can, look he can ride a bike with one leg.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 7:57 AM  
Tim starts at 12:07 that's 10:07 NZ time. Most of the top 6 in the sprint and middle start in the 45min prior, so we should have a good idea of how he's ridden when his finish time comes up. There don't seem to be any radio controls or tracking for the M20. Marquita starts at 12:04 NZ time, Rob at 12:10 followed by Australia's Peter Cusworth; David Firman another Aussie M60 at 12:19, and Caroline Jackson at 12:21.

Show Profile  hughff Posted: 29 August 2014, 12:11 PM  
Thanks for keeping us up to speed with this Michael et al. Great results for Marquita and Tim. Come on Rob - make it titles for three kiwis.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 3:27 PM  
The last 5 M20 riders have tracking so we can see the map now; but not Tim who is 15min or so into the course. One third of the field has finished and I'm keeping an eye on the top 6 from the sprint and middle. So far just one of these has finished, Chernykh from RUS with a time of 102.05. Best time so far 98.14 by another Russian.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 3:44 PM  
At first glance the map is unexciting - grid pattern of tracks plus some diagonals and bendy ones. Climb is not an issue so its all about distance and track type. But then the course passes thru a spectator control near the finish three times. The loops have a number of controls on dotty tracks, European experience suggests these may be only slightly slower than the rest. If not, off-track is allowed, and short-cuts may be worthwhile even if it means pushing the bike.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 4:00 PM  
Half the field have finished now, fastest time still 98.14. There are two Aussie guys, Karl Withers with 111.24 and Tim Jackson 122.10.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 4:09 PM  
Two thirds of the results are in. There's a new leader Kiselev (RUS) who was 5th in the sprint and 2nd to Tim in the middle- 95:37. Another Russian I'm watching - Likhanov who was 6th in the middle is on 99.41 making Russia 1-2-3.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 4:28 PM  
The tracking system is frustrating - the names of the riders are too big and clobber each other and the tracks around where they are. Tried fiddling with the controls but they are in Polish and I can't make them work for me! Sandberg from Sweden who won the sprint has pushed up into 3rd with a time of 98.52. He started 30min before Tim so not long to wait now.

Show Profile  R2 Posted: 29 August 2014, 4:33 PM  
You can change the Polish to English - little flag above trackcourse heading.then hit arrow thing on table and you can adjust tail lengths etc

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 4:34 PM  
New leader who wasn't one I was watching - Blomster from Fin - 95-21. He started 12min before Tim.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 4:46 PM  
Action - and not what I wanted to see. New best time by Waldmann from AUT - 88:34. And he started after Tim (3min). This is a big jump from 95! Waldmann was 6th in the sprint.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 August 2014, 4:51 PM  
No medal for Tim today, 97.18 which is 4th at the moment. Possibly still a podium though, if I can believe the tracking the last 5 with trackers on have been doing some straaaange things. Well done Tim you've done us proud!

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 29 August 2014, 5:00 PM  
maybe only one person can change the top 5results Tomas having a fast ride

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 29 August 2014, 5:09 PM  
Well done Tim! Awesome result - take a day off tomorrow!!!Those legs must be hurting now!

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz