maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Trailers

Show Profile  nick Posted: 24 June 2014, 12:24 AM  
Question for all clubs who have a club trailer - what are the do`s and don’ts in choosing a trailer?

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 24 June 2014, 7:09 AM  
Check this out

http://hborienteering.com/club/uploads/resources/Caravan_Notes.pdf

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 24 June 2014, 8:23 AM  
nobody wanted to tow our original caravan as it was too heavy. We now have a super shuttle type trailer - just for the gear.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 24 June 2014, 9:51 PM  
Nice one Rolf, thanks.

Cheers Alan - NW's trailer turned out pretty heavy too I believe.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 11 July 2014, 12:15 AM  
As one half of the muggins couple who store, and therefore tow, the NW trailer, my advice is don't get one that's too heavy. The NW one is ridiculously heavy - pushes our pretty grunty 4WD ute down hills and would probably rip the chassis off any lighter vehicles. Apart from its weight (which admittedly is half due to what's in it), it functions well. As long as people put things back where they are supposed to go; could do a whole new posting on that subject....

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 July 2014, 10:35 AM  
An option to be considered is - don't. They can turn into storage sheds. Borrow or hire a garden trailer and put into it what is necessary for the event.

This message was edited by Michael on 11 July 2014, 5:37 PM

Show Profile  nick Posted: 17 July 2014, 7:21 AM  
Thanks Marquita, Michael.

To explain the context... the Vancouver club requires a new storage solution. The toss up seems to be (1) rent a storage unit in a central location or (2) get a trailer. They travel pretty light here so could probably get away with an off-the-shelf trailer, nothing too heavy. But of course you still need somewhere to park the trailer... and enough club members with tow-bars. Or one very committed couple with a grunty 4WD ute

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 20 July 2014, 6:53 AM  
I have been known to carry everything needed for (admittedly very low key) events to the venue in a mini!

Show Profile  Dave N Posted: 24 July 2014, 2:59 AM  
WHO has a trailer since 1992... you need someone happy to store it, maintain it and keep it legal.
A good trailer seems to need a long enough towbar so it's easy to back. Ours is fairly light, until it's full.
Sloping tops also serve as tables for registration, map corrections :-) and it did have a canopy, used twice in 10 years (from memory)
Dave N

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 7 March 2017, 8:19 AM  
So who has the best caravan/trailer in NZ clubs?

I always thought Hawkes Bay with their custom built trailer was awesome with gear storage accessible form the outside. Plus it doubles as a big banner at events?
Do other clubs have better arrangements?

Waikato needs to spend money on its antique 10 tonne pop up caravan (now valued at $18 on the club accounts) or invest in something new?

Show Profile  ML Posted: 7 March 2017, 11:06 AM  
If the trailer is getting heavyish at the design stage you can get brakes fitted, that will make it much easier to tow and less likely to overpower the tow vehicle. Marquita you could probably get brakes retrofitted to the NW club trailer (Trojan does a good simple hydraulic disc brake system for car trailers)

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 7 March 2017, 10:21 PM  
Wellington has one of these:
http://www.superiorgroup.co.nz/customised-shuttles.html

ours has the two side dorrs and the rear door.
suitable for most events - but for a major event we would also need to hire a jumbo van

Show Profile  silverflash Posted: 9 March 2017, 7:38 AM  
I don't know why we are fixated on the Trailer for getting gear to events? when we should be looking at getting a cheapish van(transit type).
This option can eliminate the problem of
1 I can't tow a trailer.
2 I don't have a tow bar.
3 I can't back.
The person that elects to bring it out to the event only has to drive his/her car to pick up the van and use that to get to the event.
A trailer has to get a warrant and regio the same as a van so no problems there.

Show Profile  silverflash Posted: 9 March 2017, 7:39 AM  
I don't know why we are fixated on the Trailer for getting gear to events? when we should be looking at getting a cheapish van(transit type).
This option can eliminate the problem of
1 I can't tow a trailer.
2 I don't have a tow bar.
3 I can't back.
The person that elects to bring it out to the event only has to drive his/her car to pick up the van and use that to get to the event.
A trailer has to get a warrant and regio the same as a van so no problems there.

Show Profile  silverflash Posted: 9 March 2017, 7:42 AM  
oops pushed too many buttons I knew that last wine was one too many

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz