maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

New ONZ Website

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 6 May 2014, 7:51 AM  
Looking great. Haven't really had time for a thorough look with the chats/forums. The beauty of Maptalk is that you can create new specific subject posts for discussion, as you can with Attack Point and Nopesport. Is this possible with the new NZO Site?

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 7 May 2014, 3:42 AM  
Perhaps forum on specific topics should stay on Maptalk. Some threads get into pretty "interesting" discussion which perhaps don't have a place on the national website. We don't want to put people off before they even try!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 May 2014, 9:33 AM  
Simon exhorts us to use the nice facilities on the new website and many are keen to do so - both as individuals clubs and groups. But we need to have a steer as to which "boxes" are appropriate for what. There is "news" and there are "blogs". I see that some selection notices are in one and some in the other. There are also "groups" with a set of headings, and there is "chat" with a set of "forums" which are similar but not the same as the groups. Presumably some of this needs to be moderated and some not. Of course it may become easy when there is precedent to follow but right now we need a map.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 12 May 2014, 1:46 AM  
Hi Michael - very good question re News/Blogs

Initially we couldn't use "tags" on the News and so whilst that was being worked through Roger was posting these items under Blogs. We think this is resolved now - so you'll see this tidied up and Blogs featuring under Blogs and News under News. Good picking up.

Also in general thanks to everyone for comments and recommendations to-date.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 May 2014, 4:35 AM  
Tx Simon but where's the map as to what should go where? What seems to be missing from this project is the peopleware.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 May 2014, 5:35 AM  
It seems that many people have forgotten the advice on Maptalk/Events to disguise email addresses. This discourages software that crawls through the web harvesting addresses for use in spam. For example billenglish at budget dot govt dot nz is "slightly" harder to pick up than a series of characters with an @ in the middle, and if I was a spammer there are so many @'s on the web that why would I bother looking any harder:-)) From what the webmaster tells me this would also be advisable in the ONZ listings.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 May 2014, 4:09 AM  
Excuse me if this is flagged elsewhere, but there's a glitch with the events listing. Editing (some? all?) events causes them to temporarily disappear. The webmaster has to do something to make them appear again. He says the problem has highest priority but beware in the meantime.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 May 2014, 2:02 PM  
Still happening. Webmaster says it was supposed to be fixed. Looks like it is necessary to keep reporting everything, patience doesn't work:-)

Show Profile  nick Posted: 2 June 2014, 5:34 AM  
Do the snarky maptalk posts help fix it?

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 10 June 2014, 10:08 AM  
Has anyone figured out how to post event results on the new Orienteering NZ website?
The main menu includes "Events & Results", however there doesn't seem to be any place within the event to add the results!!??

Am I missing something here?

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 10 June 2014, 4:45 PM  
Rolf, the support for posting event results related to the event listing on the ONZ website was planned but now will be in a future update. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Currently the only way to add a link to results would be to include an html link in the event description text. I have removed the word "Results" from the menu item as it was planned but not implemented.

Nick, reporting via the email address webmaster@orienteering.org.nz is the best method for reporting an issue.

As Michael has pointed out the events adding and editing had issues over the last couple of weeks. The developers have indicated to me the reported issues with editing/adding of events and the setting of the event location map have been fixed again.

Work is continuing on improving the site and we appreciate all feedback.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 11 June 2014, 1:51 AM  
Thanks Roger.
Hopefully results happen sooner rather than later. If we are to have a 'one-stop-shop' for all things O, then results would surely be the most popular bit of O info that people hunt for and it would drive a lot of traffic to the ONZ website.

I did want to put this discussion onto the ONZ site rather than maptalk,but it didn't really fit into any of the 10 groups!

Show Profile  Erin Posted: 11 June 2014, 1:36 PM  
Great to see all the feedback re the new Orienteering NZ website. Thought it might be useful for me to comment on a few things given my role with the project. My biggest regret with the project is that it took so long and we probably didn't manage communications/change around launch as well as could have. At least we got there!
Everyone will have different views on what functionality should have been included and we did try to allow for the feedback we got from the O community (e.g. we were asked to include blog functionality). It won't be perfect but think best bet was to build something which can evolve with actual use and feedback going forward. And do keep identifying any issues that we need developers to fix. Things like the current groups are not set - we can easily delete, set up different ones - this was just starting point. And it's easy to add results fields; change/add photos; add discussion topics etc.
I really believe (based on my own expertise, not necessarily NZOF policy) that the best bet is to have a central website which becomes the hub of orienteering in NZ. This should ideally have lots of ongoing fresh content from a range of users. This will help portray the sport as active, relevant, and engaging to current and new users (and having lots of content is good for search engine rankings). I think all of us would like to grow the sport but I just don’t think currently there is a big enough community to have lots of different "fragmented" sites as we won’t get enough centralised content coming through. And I suppose to be a bit controversial it would be great for orienteering to stand up and be a lot prouder as a sport, and the whole community contributing user generated content to the website could help make this happen. Again we may not have got it all 100% right at start.
The issue of moderation is interesting (news articles have to be approved by nothing else on site). Generally there is a move away from the “them and us” view with lots of control, but reserving right to take down stuff which is deliberately malicious, defamatory – although even this can’t always be controlled in social media area. Most organisations are wanting their communities to engage directly online and the customer (or orienteer in this case) is king. You can’t hide from it and generally when you take an open approach most of the content is positive. Most people are pretty sensible about this.
Not everyone will agree with the above approach no doubt. Change is always tricky but it would be great if people used the site and gave it all a go – even if it means it can be improved going forward. I’d also really like to acknowledge all the different people that helped compiling content (sorry about the hounding) and providing feedback, especially Roger who has picked up the admin now and is dealing with all the problems left over.
Happy to chat further – but would prefer to do it on the new site. :-)

Show Profile  nick Posted: 20 June 2014, 2:10 AM  
My last post on this topic, on maptalk anyway:

Hear hear Erin.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz