maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

2014 Katoa Po

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 27 February 2014, 4:15 PM  
Didn't go this year as still recovering from injury & didn't want to aggravate by doing something stupid in the dark. Last year was straight after STB which made timing wrong for me although I understand why it was done. Previous couple of years it clashed with something else. I think it would be better later - Jan/Feb too early. Format is fine with me. Does need supporting events so you can make a weekend of orienteering.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 8 March 2014, 3:06 PM  
Didn't go last year or this year because I'm living in Canada.

Have been orienteering for about 10 years and have only been to Katoa Po twice. And I am ashamed. Its easily one of the most enjoyable events I've ever participated in. Why so few? When I was new to O, it was intimidating. Then later, clashes. And then... I can't even explain.

I don't think theres anything wrong with the event itself. You guys do a good job.

Experimenting with the team criteria isn't going to hurt attendance, but might produce a positive change. If we have lots of juniors, maybe find a way to get them all racing?

At the end of the day the clubs need to be committed to sending a team or teams. So maybe its a promotion thing?Pressing the clubs to promote attendance? Re-emphasising the great prestige of winning Katoa-Po? North West certainly threw down the gauntlet this year: who thinks they can wrest the title off us?

Did you use O-Lynx this year? That could be a good contribution to the atmosphere at the event centre.

I prefer to have support events. One potentially helpful thing (especially for new orienteers) might be to get some experience of similar terrain during the day... or even the night before?

I can't wait to return to Katoa Po once I'm back in NZ. Maybe in time for the 2015 resurgence?

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 9 March 2014, 2:38 AM  
Great Event, it just seems to have gone stale for some reason. Only reason I haven't been every year is because I've been out of the country. My suggestions: much more emphasis on marketing the event - both inside and outside of the NZ oing community (would appeal to some as a fun corporate event), less restrictions/rules with teams/grades (eg. Just men's relay, women's relay and mixed team categories + separate white/yellow courses in the day). Trying to copy Jukola/Venla relay on a smaller scale wouldn't hurt. Although it's all I know and have fond memories of - perhaps a name change would inject some life? Most orienteers are super pun-geeks, I'm sure something super catchy would pop up in this forum if you issued the challenge

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 10 March 2014, 7:50 AM  
Part of the tradition of the event has been the name. The event originator, Graham Teahan, consulted his Maori neighbour for a Maori translation of "All Night" - hence "Katoa Po".

Whilst the event doesn't tend to last "all night" these days(it has occasionally in the past), the competitors and supporters camping at the event are there all night.

If you think the name change of Telecom to Spark will be convincing improvement, maybe a name change for Katoa Po may work - time will tell.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 10 March 2014, 11:40 AM  
I like the name, the tradition.

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 11 March 2014, 3:16 AM  
Wouldn't proper Maori grammar be 'Katoa te Po'?
Like I said, I like the name just fine - it has stuck with me - but then again I'd turn up to a street score-O event in Gore if I was in the neighborhood. My meaning was just that unless there's a plan to involve the local iwi it's pretty hard to push the name/event from a marketing perspective... Additionally, from what I remember, most people refer to the event when they talk about it as 'night relays' rather than 'Katoa-Po'. An even more abstract (and slightly racist) argument would be that people are inherently scared of the dark and the unintended subliminal fear of being consumed by savages only exacerbates things.
I agree that website and/or a Facebook page would be a big helper regardless of a name-change. O-Lynx and other emphasis on spectator value would help too.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 11 March 2014, 1:13 PM  
Can I add an even more left field comment? Although not quite as left field as Ross'. Lacking Vit D at the moment, Ross?

I know about traditions etc. but being a South Islander this always felt like a North Island only affair.

Why not open it up and send the event around the country? With the introduction of a Night Champs for this years NZ Champs (I assume they are not officially sanctioned) next year why not have a night champs weekend? Sounds like the perfect winter foil to me.

Next year's Sprint the Bay should be Sprint the Capital. Need to agree naming rights from the Morrisons.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 March 2014, 9:21 AM  
I think the posting on Waitangi 2015 holds the answer. We keep inventing fabulous new events. But there are still only 52 and a bit weekends in the year. Just imagine the reaction if NZOF was to propose limiting events...

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz