maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

2014 Katoa Po

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 8 January 2014, 9:44 AM  
This year's event will be 22nd-23rd February.Most of the map will be new to everyone. Farmland, but typical Taupo gullies so lots of negative detail. On the eastern side of Rangitira E farm so even closer to town than the last couple of years. You can see the traffic light from the event centre. As well as the relay, there will be events organised on Saturday and Sunday at Whakaipo Bay. Fundraising for the overseas travel of junior members of HBOC. Please support them.
Entry form will be out in the next couple of days.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 14 January 2014, 5:59 AM  
Entry form and information for Katoa Po is now out.
www.cdorienteering.co.nz/events.cfm?id=4289

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to download the info.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 4 February 2014, 4:16 PM  
Just a reminder that entries close for Katoa Po and supporting events on 14 February. Download info and entry forms from the link above.

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 13 February 2014, 2:28 PM  
NWOC are rallying their troops. We are going to be unstoppable.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 14 February 2014, 4:12 AM  
If you are up for a bit of MTBO action the next morning in Rotorua, check out the MTB Adventure Quest - http://www.obop.org.nz/mtb-adventure-quest-2014.html. Great fun for the all the family and perfectly timed for you to wake up, pack up your tent and cruise the 50mins to the event centre. Did mention it will be wicked fun and suitable for the entire family.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 14 February 2014, 4:20 AM  
Nothing like a bit of competition Darren, but we are trying to support the fundraising efforts of the junior members of HBOC at the same time.

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 15 February 2014, 6:23 AM  
With a night race with title being part of the Nationals, Katoa Po gives all the ideal chance to practice. EWTs are about the same too

Show Profile  PhillipH Posted: 23 February 2014, 12:22 PM  
Katoa Po Warm-up, warm-down results

http://obasen.orientering.se/winsplits/online/en/show_event.asp?id=29391

http://obasen.orientering.se/winsplits/online/en/show_event.asp?id=29392

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 26 February 2014, 8:40 PM  
We really need to figure out a way of getting Katoa Po cranking and supporting orienteering in Taupo. NZ - especially North Island - Orienteering will be a lot weaker if this is lost.

The current numbers must struggle to stack up for Chris and co.

What is stopping clubs from the four corners of the NI attending?

General weakness within these clubs?

Is it the date?

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 26 February 2014, 11:25 PM  
Thanks for the support Jamie and yes, we ran at a loss this year so the viability is certainly threatened.

To the questions you pose, add: is the mix of courses the right one? It is based on the old OY format and we wouldn't want to move away from that too much. However, many teams have difficulty getting white and yellow leg runners so do we have a Legs 3-7 competition? Or a Leg 5, 6, 7 elites relay?

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 27 February 2014, 12:03 AM  
An elite relay won't add to the numbers much as there aren't enough elites. One possibility would be 3 person relays, with say presents legs 1-3 for one relay and legs 4-6 for the other. Would give less excuse for clubs not getting teams made up.

Alternatively find another new map, and have a 2 day badge event level, with a night event/relay in the middle

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 27 February 2014, 2:58 AM  
I talked with Chris briefly on the weekend about ways to push numbers again. If there was a quality sprint race on saturday arvo, then the relays, then a decent multi day distance the next day on a good map it would give something for Taupo to promote. I also think early/mid March would work better once the O calendars have settled.

Promotion and knowledge of the event would also be key. A website (Ill put my hand up) and promotion from a while out would definitely help the cause. Also, an idea like making the events either side super series but elites can only earn points if they are part of a team in Katoa Po (official or unofficial in the case of south islanders).

I am not sure that the formula on how the teams are made is wrong either. This used to work really well when I was young, when the sport was dominated by senior members. Now we have a lot more juniors we should be able to make up a lot more teams.

In the end it comes down to individual clubs to help out as well. If clubs really try to get together a number of teams, get into the club spirit and make a good weekend of it then Katoa Po can get back to its glory days.

This is an event that we shouldn't let die. Orienteering in Taupo is really struggling and this is definitely a way for NZ orienteering public to get behind the club.

Rebirth of Katoa Po 2015 - LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 27 February 2014, 2:59 AM  
warning brainstorm...

Dates - February is hard for clubs, many don't hold meetings in Jan - Katoa Po has been historically our best interclub competition. How about a first event in Spring sort of location on the calender...

Format - Why not keep it simple, a Five person relay, junior, open, veterans (min two women per team or a time penalty to be served after the second leg).

Financing - Chris and Jim, and others before that have done a critical job keeping orienteering going in Taupo, this is the heart of NI orienteering. It is the meeting place of the clubs and an important location for up and comers (of all ages) to test themselves, get addicted to orienteering on exotic terrain. Perhaps some clubs if they looked at how they can best provide progression and experiences for their members could look at stumping up with some cash, seek funding for mapping around Taupo for the annual event. Perhaps a group could get together and run Nationals there.. one can't help noticing the epic planting around the western lake road...

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 27 February 2014, 4:35 AM  
Taupo O Club really needs to know what is wrong with the event. If we don't know the problem we can't fix it.

The high standards we have always set haven't slipped. We had a NEW MAP, great courses, fantastic weather, a great vista of the lights of Taupo, and camping at the Event where people can mingle, meet new friends and cheer on their team mates.

There are many fantastic things Katoa Po provides which are not found to the same degree at other events.

What can we do to still make the event better and attract people to it?

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 27 February 2014, 7:45 AM  
We went this year and it was a great event, the kids loved it, but sadly it's become too small to remain viable.

I would really like to know from orienteers who didn't go this year:
1. Why they didn't prioritise Katoa Po in their calendars?
2. What other events they did instead?
3. Do clubs need to drive up numbers somehow?

I know school age kids end up having lots of weekend activities that clash, but most families still find time for weekends away - why not for Katoa Po?

And finally, is the demise of these kind of events an indirect result of the loss of regional and National Magazines? A sense of community and belonging, news of events and write ups - maybe some people find all this on the web, but I don't and neither do a lot of other people I know. Emails quickly scroll off the screen and down into the depths of my Inbox never to be looked at again, whereas magazines used to lie around the house reminding me about events and interesting details. And maybe these traditional events are losing out because of that?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 27 February 2014, 8:44 AM  
ok. I'll start.

We had a weeks leave and went tramping in the South Island. Previously we have had clashes with friends weddings.

Good on you Duncan for volunteering to create a web presence. I am happy to help with content.

I don't think support events are particularly important. A format change that encouraged groups to take it more seriously and compete with similar teams year after year would build loyalty to the main event. Three grades: junior, open and vet.

Spring time, with a cold taupo night followed by hot pools in the morning.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz