maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

WOA Champs 2013

Show Profile  AnnaE Posted: 9 October 2013, 4:56 AM  
Reminder: Entries close Monday 14th October 2013.

Wellington Orienteering Assoc Champs 2013
Sat/Sun/ Mon 26-28 October 2013

http://www.wellingtonorienteering.org.nz/events/woa-champs/

Three races -
Long Distance (Mauriceville), Sprint (2 parts - Eketahuna dn Rathkeale), Middle Distance (Mauricelville)

A rogaine is also available on the Saturday.
More details are on the event website.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 October 2013, 10:18 AM  
I got some stronger glasses from a well-known shop but I still couldn't see the range of start times to plan my travel. Am I going blind?

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 10 October 2013, 2:54 PM  
added some extra info to maptalk events - with first start times.

Show Profile  AnnaE Posted: 22 October 2013, 3:59 PM  
Event programme now up on WOC page. Start times imminent.

Show Profile  AnnaE Posted: 24 October 2013, 3:56 PM  
Start lists posted
http://www.wellingtonorienteering.org.nz/events/woa-champs/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 October 2013, 5:36 AM  
I'm looking forward to the sprint on Sunday morning. With a climb of minus 14m, and the orienteering convention that descents are ignored, this suggests some non-Euclidean geometrical system whereby we can go negatively uphill without going downhill. Perhaps this is how the famous Escherian staircase works. But it could equally be that my brain is following my body in a certain direction.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 25 October 2013, 7:48 AM  
I know I'm bending the guidelines a bit but I'm sure competitors are happy knowing a bit more information about the course - instead of 0m there is a net descent of 14m meaning the start is higher than the finish - hopefully this will correspond to some very fast km rates and as opposed to the 100m race where there is a maximum allowable following wind, we can claim a NZ record.

Interesting in Ocad you can't put in a negative climb value.

Actually, the real answer is that space, time, and up and down are warped in Eketahuna and the following limerick applies (from Stephen Hawking):

There was a young lady of Wight,
Who traveled much faster than light,
She departed one day,
In a relative way,
And arrived on the previous night.

I've met some interesting people in Eketahuna while mapping.
One week after starting mapping, I met and talked to 4 different people and everyone I talked to knew what I was doing and my brother-in-law only told one or two completely different persons.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 28 October 2013, 12:37 PM  
Well it was a fun little event, regardless of whether or not it was happening in the twilight zone.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 28 October 2013, 12:47 PM  
Just wish results could be found for day 2 and 3.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 October 2013, 2:01 PM  
The elite sprint final at Rathkeale College was great to watch. Tim was knocked out in the semis which whittled 12 down to 6, and Matt won comfortably, tho not without some looseness I hear. Robertson honour was regained in the women with Laura beating Lizzie.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 28 October 2013, 2:56 PM  
Sounds like a great event and great event concept - well done to the organisers for their innovation

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 29 October 2013, 7:46 AM  
Here are some photos from the Wellington Orienteering Sprint Champs held on Sunday in Eketahuna shared in a dropbox link - you can get them using the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wy3rzn5x5onmomk/sm5XtvCf57

I can send you higher resolution for any images if anyone want's a more detailed photo. Just email the NZOF Statistician.

All photos are taken by my wife Ning Teahan (a professional photographer) who would like to know and to have her name added if any are used in any magazine or promotional material.

There are photos of Matt Ogden taken at the Kiwi where we had a flag. Also photos of Laura Robertson and Lizzie Ingham fighting to punch the last control.

There are various other photos showing orienteers running through the town and the camp.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 12 November 2013, 2:00 AM  
Awesome video of the knock out sprint final edited by Devon Beckman and shot by Tim and Tane! Check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJUJwa_Dem4

Show Profile  inghamma Posted: 12 November 2013, 8:33 AM  
Brilliant!!!!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz