maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

StatNav - New Zealand's Unofficial Orienteering Rankings

Show Profile  StatNav Posted: 9 April 2014, 3:32 PM  
Well, Michael, we've enjoyed our long summer break but we're back now. StatNav rankings are now updated to the end of March 2014. A number have changes have occurred with around 25% of all orienteers changing grades with the change of year.

And there has been a change at the top as well with Chris Forne dropping out of the number one spot for the first time since we started publishing the rankings.

http://www.statnav.co.nz

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 10 April 2014, 7:18 AM  
yay. (Welcome back)
Regrettably, for me, Hayley has just moved a couple of places above me on the list. I think I'll hold off showing her and wait to see how Nationals go...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2014, 11:56 AM  
Readers of this topic might be interested in the IOF Rankings, where there has been a change recently. An item on the ONZ website, and the IOF website, says "IOF World Ranking Page Up and Running." Forgive me for just coming from a reading of "1984" but this suggests something new that wasn't there before. In fact there has been an IOF World Ranking for many years, and a website. I believe that the IOF changed the ranking from something that attempted to represent ability, to something that rewarded results in events that IOF wanted to promote. And the people who did the ranking before didn't agree with that approach, and withdrew their services. But I think they did a very good job, their rankings were quite useful as a standard for a country a long way from the main events, and I'm disappointed that they seem to have been ignored in the announcements. It's distasteful to pretend they didn't exist - but am I too influenced by George Orwell?

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 19 May 2014, 5:11 AM  
The main difference that I see in the new IOF ranking system is that it is now split into two rankings. Orienteering and Sprint Orienteering have separate lists.

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 30 May 2014, 5:03 AM  
Grade rankings are all up to date (end of April) but the overall rankings are still showing March.

Show Profile  StatNav Posted: 18 January 2017, 2:13 PM  
A certain amount of moral pressure was placed on us over the Christmas break regarding the lack of updates to the StatNav website. We've been continuing to calculate points in the interim and now, for the first time in nearly three years, all rankings are up to date.

By up to date we mean that the rankings as of the end of December 2016 are now on the website - earlier updates are not there and probably never will be. Hopefully you've had a good year and can point to StatNav to prove it.

http://www.statnav.co.nz

Show Profile  StatNav Posted: 3 February 2017, 1:15 PM  
January 2017 rankings have now been published on StatNav. There were no ranking events in January so you won't have gained any points but if you had a good Southern O Week last year you may have lost some as those events drop out of the 12 month rolling ranking.

And with the annual movement between age grades taking place there have been a lot of changes within the age grade rankings.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 August 2017, 6:13 AM  
Thanks for your good work:-))

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 May 2018, 10:23 AM  
Good to see StatNav ticking along, and I hope anyone who feels the need to monitor their orienteering progress is aware of the brilliant resource.

Just after a bit of clarification from our mystery statistician(s?): Given that Nationals this year only just crept over into April, are all the Nationals races included in the latest "March" update for practicality, or is the middle not yet included?

Show Profile  StatNav Posted: 7 May 2018, 5:49 AM  
Well spotted. Yes, for convenience the March results included the NZ Middle Champs that were actually held on April 1. If we ever get around to writing the "Monthly Update" column regularly that is exactly the sort of information we would include.

The other thing we would point out is that in March we saw a change at the very top of the rankings for the first time in around 3 years with Matt Ogden overtaking Nick Hann into first place. But Matt should enjoy that while he can, when the April results go up later this week and Matt's good results from April 2017 are excluded from them it is likely Nick will be top dog again.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 8 May 2018, 3:03 AM  
cheers. as always, love your work.

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 16 March 2019, 5:46 AM  
Can we have Statnav updated please. It is being missed.

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 18 March 2019, 1:18 AM  
In May last year, the EU introduced the GPRS data privacy regulations - which StatNav, in its current form, doesn't comply with. We're not based in the EU but the regulations seemed a reasonable approach to the problem so we spent time last winter looking into how to change StatNav to comply. And then Weebly made another of its regular changes to what you can and can't do with a free account and affected us again.

All of which is to say that we didn't update when we should have. Currently the spreadsheet in the background is up to date to October last year. With a bit of encouragement, we might see whether we can get an update out before Nationals.

But no promises.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 18 March 2019, 11:51 AM  
I thought StatNav Man (or Woman) was a secret identity?

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 19 March 2019, 1:52 AM  
Well, sort of - it has been a bit of an open secret for the last couple of years. I've been doing my bit to muddy the waters by telling everyone that I thought it was Dwayne. Yesterday I managed to spoil six year's perfect record by not checking I had changed Maptalk IDs before posting.

But perhaps that was Dwayne pretending to be me?

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz