maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Sky Tower Fire Fighters Challenge

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 7 May 2013, 2:39 AM  
this is not directly related to orienteering...but...

My work (Tait Communications) is sponsoring the Sky Tower firefighters Challenge this year on May the 11th. It is an event open to firefighters only except for a Squad of 7 and as a sponsor I have been chosen as one of the lucky (?) seven to represent Tait. The race involves running to the top of the Auckland Sky Tower via the stair case.... In full full firefighting kit - helmet, jacket, trousers and oxygen tank (total weight of around 25kg).

The race is a fundraiser for the Leukaemia and Blood Cancer foundation and they have set me a target of raising $2500.00 for the charity, the event organisers have lent a hand by setting up a fundraising page:

http://www.firefightersclimb.org.nz/view_event_profile/2375

Any donations are much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tane

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 13 May 2013, 9:08 AM  
All you train spotters may have seen my brief few seconds of fame on TV3 news Saturday evening...anyway...

Thank you to all of you for your generous support. I got up to $1380 towards Leukaemia & Blood Cancer New Zealand before the race on Saturday....and still more money is coming in!

After a bit of initial nervous-ness I settled down and really enjoyed the pain and suffering up the tower with all that gear on! I managed to slip under 10 minutes in 9:41, the fastest in our Squad 7 (non-firefighters) Category and the "Donned" (Full gear without mask) category. The fastest overall time was with the full breathing apparatus, breathing air from the mask (Donned and Started) completing the race with an impressive new record of 8:37.

With the help of the Tait Communications and the other sponsors all of the $471,000 raised will go towards the patient and support services offered by Leukaemia & Blood Cancer New Zealand.

Thanks again!

Tane

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz