maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Godzone

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2013, 1:06 PM  
Meanwhile Thule are heading for a good coffee. If I zoom in a bit more... yes, I think they're just going in the door at Kai Whakapai.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 11 March 2013, 1:08 PM  
Brilliant route choice by Chris to stay flat for the MTB, and should be meeting Harrogate about now. Much better mtb route than the organiser's suggested route.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2013, 1:19 PM  
They've crossed. Wonder if they hid in the bushes to avoid giving the suggestion away. Looks like a bit of a track up on the true right bank. Suppose the highways are OOB.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2013, 3:29 PM  
Somewhere I saw a suggestion that the cycling leg the leaders are on now, has TWO major route choices. After choosing the low route for the first one Seagate seems to have chosen the tops route for the second? Wonder if the first wasn't as good as they were expecting. Do the teams have enough time to pore over the aerial photos like we are doing?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 11 March 2013, 3:31 PM  
Loving this tracking.

Rob G is spot on that all teams after the top 6 should have gone around the lake shore.

The mistakes of Orion and now the Knowledge Institute are classic topo map nav examples. You can see with the shapes of the ridges and valleys just what the navigators are thinking!

The top three teams are all but decided already. But looking forward to a bit of drama if those top two are still close enough tomorrow night on the Pisa range.

Show Profile  uzumati Posted: 12 March 2013, 1:37 AM  
live tracking is very distracting. fantastic .
wtf is happening at the mo with the gps (live) tracking of AWS legal - Greig will have the nav sorted so they must have teleported from one spur to another....

Show Profile  uzumati Posted: 12 March 2013, 2:10 AM  
sweet - AWS legal back on track at CP12. Greig was on the mark as per usual....Nice spike in their route, a techno glitch but I think Moa Hunters (21) route further on was man-made...tough terrain at night...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 March 2013, 5:37 AM  
Will the leaders get into the tricky nav on top of the Pisa before dark? I would like to see another rogaine up here - it was NZ's first 24hr. MacPac is about to start the river section, but the dark time could cause a catchup effect behind that. A team which has been going steadily and is in good shape, perhaps having some sleep, could take advantage of the regrouping.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 March 2013, 5:51 AM  
Macpac are highly unlikely to make it off the water before the dark zone, meaning the 2 leaders will have a 10+ hour buffer

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 12 March 2013, 6:27 AM  
Just watched Brent and Robbie's team through the transition at Albert Town. They were in very good spirit and happy with how they were going.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 12 March 2013, 6:36 AM  
The dark zone only applies to the river - once they are on lake Dunstan they are OK to paddle in the dark. Seagate will take about 7hrs for the whole paddle so Macpac should be OK with the dark zone only starting at 8.30pm.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 March 2013, 6:39 AM  
They only have to do the river before dark Greg, they can paddle in Lake Dunstan. They could perhaps get off the water around midnight and have daylight for the top of the Pisa.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 12 March 2013, 7:03 AM  
I've never been on Pisa but looking at the topo... straightish routes seem best to me. Is it harder than it looks? What will Chris, Aaron & Brent/Robbie do?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 March 2013, 7:57 AM  
Nothing that a reasonable orienteer couldn't manage but I think many similar features and unmarked 4WD tracks everywhere. Streams eat down quite deeply so the beeline might not be optimum. Completely open of course, Chris will do it with his eyes shut, but its not trivial. AR planners have been known to mis-place controls, and the course notes frequently use the term "hidden".

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 March 2013, 9:37 AM  
Seagate just about up on top already, they may be able to get across to the Snow Farm before dark. Ironic when they have the best navigator in the business. Still, Harraway shouldn't be troubled either. MacPac is safely on the lake, Swordfox and Moa Hunters will make it before 8:30. Perhaps Pak n Save will be the first team to be held up by the dark zone.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz