maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

who's excited?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 27 December 2012, 11:13 PM  
1 week to go... I'm starting to get a little excited. Are you?

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 27 December 2012, 11:46 PM  
What you mean? It starts today!

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 31 December 2012, 9:03 AM  
Pretty excited about the brand new New Zealand kit!

More samples to come but the best part will be seeing it flashing through the terrain in a weeks time!

Like our facebook page to see the samples!
http://www.facebook.com/GrassyKnollOutdoor

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 January 2013, 1:11 AM  
Bravo! A HUGE achievement that raised the bar in so many ways.

I'd like to bend this thread into a chronicle of things great and small that impressed. Things that might have been improved belong in other threads.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 January 2013, 1:14 AM  
Great: the incredible combination of O-Lynx, result displays, and commentaries. Feel free to single out individual aspects of this!

Small: Decent sized safety pins for the race numbers. How I hate those tiny little bendy ones that we usually get:-))

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 January 2013, 1:19 AM  
I liked the silent pre-starts. Let's banish those strident call-outs for absent starters. It's OUR responsibility to be there when required.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 23 January 2013, 8:35 AM  
I think it was the best carnival we've ever had in NZ, and to me the results systems, which are world class, really made it, and I know that all visitors I spoke to loved it.
Big thanks to all those that made it happen.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 January 2013, 1:42 AM  
The A3 "programme" or final bulletin or whatever it was called. The essential stuff boiled down to a handy reference - nice. Other major events have a document which seems to be getting bigger and bigger and bigger, but most of it is simply standard procedure - maybe we could have a standard procedure document on the NZOF website.

If anyone had difficulty printing the A3 "tiled" on an A4 printer as I did, I solved the problem by switching my pdf reader from Acrobat to Foxit. There are probably other free pdf readers out there too.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 24 January 2013, 5:37 AM  
I really enjoyed the maps - both diversity of terrain and quality of printing. Each time I had to check the scale as I ran off thinking that I had picked up a 1:7500 instead of a 1:10000. Even the 1:15000 was easy to read despite some pre-carnival worries.

Oh - and how good was the weather

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 24 January 2013, 6:22 AM  
The quality of printing at the Slump was poor compared to the maps the World Cup runners had.

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 24 January 2013, 7:54 AM  
The map for us at the Sprint was better for us, than the WC map, as it showed the stairs around the back of the building. It was covered in green

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 January 2013, 8:59 AM  
Tut tut. Things that coulda been improved belong in other threads.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 24 January 2013, 12:17 PM  
Fantastic carnival, loved the big event atmosphere with loads of people. Really competitive A grades. Loved the mapping style which did not overmap - felt just right! Really enjoyed Duncan and Blair's commentaries, particularly when they were working off each other...on and on and on.

Superb effort by the organizing committee and dozens of volunteers. GIANT thank you...:-)

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 25 January 2013, 2:44 AM  
There have been some pretty impressive Orienteerers swim in our pool this summer......that's for sure!! After meeting the Swedish coach I now realise how much our elites miss out on and what is not available to them especially the support that these other nations receive.(and I don't mean financial here either) Yes I know, they are not 'volunteer' nations a lot of them. But so many of them were shocked, surprised and amazed that our Elites had to pay anything for WC entries in their OWN country. Still, it was great to meet all these wonderful people and be 'mine host'.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 28 January 2013, 3:19 AM  
Carnival was fantastic, well done to all involved. Really enjoyed the Spectator appeal of the World Cup races. The Opening Ceremony was well done. The mass start on day 7 was pretty cool also... although could be improved in future with gaffling (I think that is the term).
Thanks Red Kiwis, Wellington, Hawkes Bay clubs and many individuals who did stuff.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 January 2013, 1:20 PM  
It's great that we can read so much more about what the visiting athletes thought, via their blogs and reports back to their national websites (compared to 1994). See www.worldofo.com. See also Bill's analysis of the WC sprint final route choices there.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz