maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Mass start on last day of Oceania!

Show Profile  oldtimer Posted: 21 December 2012, 8:49 AM  
Nowhere in the original invition (http://oceania2013.hborienteering.com/eform/event_notes.pdf) did it state that the last day on the slump was a mass-start! I run orienteer to enjoy the INDIVIDUAL challenge of finding my way through the wilderness. If I wanted to run a cross-country race there then I know where to find such races...

If I had known this from the start I wouldn't have paid the exorbitant entry fee.

Can I have my money back, I'm not getting the product I thought I purchased!?

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 21 December 2012, 9:47 AM  
As soon as I saw this I asked for a refund, which I am getting, and said to the organisers there will be many unhappy orienteers, because this was not marketed as such, and my crosscountry running days finished many years ago.
They are trying to organise 3 major events in one day, but yes, it should have been advertised

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 21 December 2012, 12:36 PM  
The reasons are guess-able, but it's a bit of a shame. Even something like a chasing start based on the previous day would be a viable alternative.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 23 December 2012, 2:27 AM  
That is the problem with old timers, sometimes they don't like change.

Anyone thinking that a slump mass start is going to be a cross-country race needs their head screwed back on. I'm sorry but I just haven't been seeing these technical gurus at events over the last 15 years.

Great idea to get the whole field finishing at near the same time on the last day of a massive event.

Show Profile  oldtimer Posted: 24 December 2012, 12:39 AM  
Have run more than my fair share of mass-starts over the years. There're fine when young and fit and hungry to fight. But as the year's go by, it's the mental challenge that I pay for. Regardless of the number of butterflies, and nature of the terrain (I've run on the slump too) I still don't believe I'd enjoy a mass-start on the slump.

Happy Grinchy Christmas ;-D

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 28 December 2012, 6:03 AM  
Slump is an awesome map, its probably less open then a mass start at whites line or telephone track and easily just as difficult. People are underestimating the challenge this map provides and im sure this will show in the results!

Show Profile  oldtimer Posted: 30 December 2012, 9:09 AM  
Think I'll be picking up my map at 12 with everyone else, then go get a coffee or two. Course closure is at 3pm, so plenty of time to bag those flags in peace and quiet later.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz