maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

ANZ Challenge

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 28 December 2012, 2:26 PM  
IOF Competition Rules don't apply except to M/W21E. The Oceania Championships rules (http://www.orienteering.asn.au/gfolder/administration/op_manual/212OceaniaChampionshipsRules.pdf) state that rules on things like map scales are the same as those which apply to the equivalent national championship in the host country. Australia's competition rules allow either scale for long distance championships in general (except for M/W21E), but I don't know what the NZ rules are.

Show Profile  Don Posted: 29 December 2012, 1:10 AM  
It doesn't really matter does it? If Bryan can read the map without glasses it is probably OK. I enjoy the challenge with orienteering: a new map, unusual scale, different terrain. So long as there aren't too many long-distance, easy nav running legs. My challenge is to do well against others in the same class and know that I have not made any significant errors. We all have the same map and course so jut turn up and enjoy the moment.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 December 2012, 9:17 AM  
I was talking to one of the overseas team members at the forest today, might not have completely understood but his partner knew someone who bumped into a person on the IOF Map Commission, and they said something about the delays in the ISOM revision. Apparently there's a bit of argument over a new symbol for the fiscal cliff.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 January 2013, 12:29 PM  
Anyway to return to the subject. If day 1 had been a challenge, the score might have been NZ 10, Aus 5, with 5 inconclusive due to not enough team members running. (Some were in the schools relay).

If day 2 had been a challenge, the score might have been NZ 8, Aus 5, with 7 inconclusive. (Schools, plus resting up?)

Classes where NZ had the upper hand both days are M40, M45, M50, M65 tho narrow, M70, W65. Australia is strong in M55, W50 and W70. Those where the balance changed over the two days were M60, W45, W55, and W60. What with the classes without enough data, and the changeable ones, it looks like at least 11 out of the 20 are up for grabs. Though one might perhaps favour NZ in the 16s and 18s on recent form. Is the school challenge result published anywhere?

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 5 January 2013, 12:35 PM  
Was wondering today whether Phil Wood and myself will be the first pair to face up to each other in an Australia-NZ Challenge as juniors, elites and masters.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 January 2013, 12:42 PM  
Found the Aust-NZ schools result on the carnival front page. Clean sweep to NZ in both relay yesterday and individual today. Well done!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 January 2013, 12:46 PM  
Blair I'll expect you'll know the cumulative totals of Trewin vs Wood up to date? Nice sub-plot to look forward to:-))

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 6 January 2013, 12:32 PM  
Not sure if anyone's officially worked out results yet but I make it 13-7 to NZ, assuming that the teams were as originally announced. Not much in it - NZ won M20, W20 and M70 by less than 45 seconds and it would have been 10-10 if those had gone the other way.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 January 2013, 12:59 PM  
Agree with that Blair, could be a tight race. Aus W50's should watch their backs too:-))

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 January 2013, 10:21 AM  
Was it a complete reversal today? Aus 13 NZ 7? If so both sides are equal going into the long on Thursday. Great! (Aside, there could be a divide in the sprint between young favouring NZ and vet favouring Aus. But of course many classes were decided by seconds.)

Show Profile  Gavin Posted: 17 January 2013, 6:05 AM  
Who won the ANZ Challenge? Where are the results? Why aren't they on the NZOF site? We must have lost just about everything?

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 17 January 2013, 8:47 AM  
Individual Challenge: 31-29 to NZ overall (13-7 middle, 7-13 sprint, 11-9 long).

Relay Challenge: 10-10.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 January 2013, 1:42 AM  
Gavin are you crediting NZOF with a cover-up or are you just a pessimist:-)) Well done NZ overall, but also well done Australia, an away win is very hard to achieve these days. Except for MTBO, heh heh.

Suggestion for the future: the host country nominates a challenge "referee" who helps communications between teams and organisers (specially late team changes) and keeps and announces the score. The event organisers have a lot to do, even without world cups and other distractions.

Show Profile  Gavin Posted: 18 January 2013, 6:03 AM  
Thanks Blair. Results don't come much closer than that!

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz