maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

World Cup 2013 Round 1 in NZ: Note for New Zealand triallists

Show Profile  Oldhat Posted: 16 November 2012, 6:17 AM  
All those trialling for the the New Zealand team for World Cup 2013 round 1 in New Zealand in January are requested to enter all the Oceania Carnival (non-World Cup) events as they would if there were no World Cup events, that is, as they would if not in the team. These entries should be made by the closing date of 2nd December to avoid late entry fees.

For those selected for the NZ World Cup team, your entry fees for the Oceania events that you will no longer be running because you will be running World Cup instead, will be transferred to the World Cup entry fees.

The NZOF will enter you in the World Cup events and subsidise one-third of your World Cup entry fees. So if selected, you will be asked to pay to the NZOF a balance, namely the World Cup fee less one-third of that fee less the Oceania fees transferred to your World Cup entry.

Note. Since NZ intends to enter a team of 10 + 10 for the World Cup races, the total entry fees are too large for full subsidy, hence it being only one-third.

Stuart Payne
General Manager
New Zealand Orienteering Federation

Show Profile  Bryn Posted: 16 November 2012, 7:30 AM  
Am i reading this right, are you saying that if we get in the team we are entered for all races except for the ones on world cup days. This might only be me but i dont want to run any races the day before a world cup race. If i was in the team i dont think i would run any of the races but the World cups so seems like a waste of money to enter them!

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 16 November 2012, 12:23 PM  
Good call Bryn, the full Oceania fee should be able to be refunded if the WC runner wants it. They should be able to focus on the WC only.

I frankly don't understand why the NZ team members are having to pay an entry fee at all. Shouldn't the organisers have budgeted that into the fee paid by all other nations. I'm sure lots of WC race holders have done that over the years!

And this should be sorted out now! So that those potential WC runners can focus on training rather than worrying about how to pay for these races!!!

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 16 November 2012, 12:33 PM  
Ok im going to throw a huge boomerang here;

How come all those trialing cant enter a few days late, so to save a shit tonne of time and effort? Or is helping/supporting elite runners not in the interest of wellington OC. Then we can simply pay NZOF the amount required for world cup, rather than paying the oceania organisers.

Just a reminder, this is a world cup. This is an opportunity for our elites to smash the foreigners on our home terrain. There is no price on winning (remember Al Landels), why does there seem to be so much resistance? Why is it so complicated for the elites? Its not at all complicated!!!

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 17 November 2012, 8:29 AM  
I couldn't agree more with the last 3 posts.

Also why doesn't the NZOF pay the $75 entry fee for triallists that WOC is asking for, as it is they that want the best team for the WC'S? There are big costs for some trialists to even get there.

Another question with regard to the above posts is can the selectors select much more speedily than they have done in recent times, so the candidates know what they are running, and entries can be done using the logical extension of time these guys are asking for?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 17 November 2012, 10:31 PM  
Whats the difference then if nzof pay for wc reps, how about all oceania age grade reps?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 20 November 2012, 10:44 PM  
I remember one team selection (a long time ago) that the team was announced a few minutes after the last trial was finished.

Why not ask the selectors to name team just after the last trial on 2nd Dec - this will enable all elites to enter
on time by midnight 2nd Dec. The selectors should know most of team before the last event and only do a few tweaks for those that under or over perform on the day.

Alternatively, ask the organisers to extend the entry date
for elites by one or two days.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 21 November 2012, 1:54 AM  
I like Bryan's suggestion.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 21 November 2012, 4:33 AM  
Bryan, your common sense based suggestions are far too simple, they would never work

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 22 November 2012, 3:26 AM  
As an ex-selector, I would suggest that naming a team within hours of trials being concluded is NOT the way to go. Obviously there will be a few no-brainers who are going to make the team regardless, but choosing which of those on the cusp should fill the last place or two in the team can take a large amount of thought and ponderance. It's not just a matter of plugging in some numbers into a spreadsheet. If it was, we wouldn't need a selection panel. It is often possible to justify a number of possible combinations; deciding which will be the chosen one is the art of the job, and one that takes time to be done properly and fairly. I hope the panel ignore the calls for haste and concentrate on making the right choices, and that trivial matters of administration will not be an influence.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz