maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Leo Homes

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 November 2012, 6:29 AM  
Leo Homes died on Thursday after being diagnosed with leukemia earlier this year. Leo was a top orienteer (DOC, WOC) though I don't think he ever got a national title. He was a regular and thorough organiser, including controlling for the ground-breaking Asia Pacific Carnival at Naseby.

With a love of tramping it was natural that he gravitated to long-distance events in the hills. Years before rogaines began in NZ Leo had run a long orienteering event in Rimutaka Forest Park on the topo map. In 1983 he and Tony Gazley won the first NZ Mountain Marathon at Tongariro. 8 years later he and then wife Janet Dobbie were top mixed team in the first NZ Rogaine at Lower Hutt. He planned several of the early afterwork rogaines.

The funeral will be on Tuesday 6 Nov, at 11am in Old St Pauls, Wellington.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 November 2012, 8:32 AM  
Sad news.
I remember Leo back in my brothers' elite days. Kevin said he was a very handy runner.
http://www.orienteeringresults.com/O/nzof/default.asp

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 November 2012, 8:35 AM  
...whoops it won't save the direct link, but do a name search and you will see some results and who he ran with.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 November 2012, 4:39 AM  
When I said Leo didn't get a national title I was just thinking of elite. But the name search didn't throw up the fact that he ran in two WOC's, 1983 in Hungary and 1985 in Australia. Leo was also involved in national squad fundraising, I think some of the early mountain marathons were run by the squad and he was involved in mapping or course planning for at least the one in the Craigieburn area. No mean feat for someone based in Wgtn.

Good send-off today. Nice speech from Rita.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz