maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

NZ Secondary Schools Orienteering Team 2012

Show Profile  PhillipH Posted: 21 September 2012, 2:57 AM  
For those interested in following the NZ Secondary Schools Orienteering Team at the 2012 Aussie Champs there is a facebook page where we will post a few photos and updates http://www.facebook.com/groups/379493765454650/

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 21 September 2012, 4:46 PM  
Great photos. Thanks Phillip. Website for the week is http://auschamps2012.com/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 September 2012, 3:40 AM  
Some good results in the Oz Middle Champs (Sat) and Tas Long (Sun). M16 the standout. Wins to Ed, Lara and Kayla. Couple of schoolboys making their presence felt in M20E. Some old buggers doing OK in M50.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 September 2012, 11:48 AM  
I'm having a senior day. Go to event website, go to results, click on Oz Middle Distance Results, get into the OA results system. Then what. Please tell me what I suppose is staring me in the face.

Clicking on the (more recent) Tas Long Champs produces a result index from "Aut-O-Download from SportIdent". Is this something in later versions of the SI software that most of us are using? Looks OK except (for overseas events where kiwis are in the minority) I like all classes on the same web page so I can "find NZL".

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 September 2012, 12:17 PM  
Amazing results from the SS individual! Map Guy, understand your reservations but the fastest news is on FB.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 25 September 2012, 3:55 PM  
Aussies are in trouble I think... half the NZ team on the podium today.
Results say it all....
NZ Junior Girls: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th !!!!
NZ Junior Boys: 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th
NZ Senior Boys: 1st, 5th, 7th and 8th
NZ Senior Girls: 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 12th.

Bring on the relays.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 26 September 2012, 12:49 AM  
For those of you a bit reluctant to go onto facebook ... Most of us have our pages clamped down to get the best security, ticking all the boxes so that my name is all that is shown to everyone else. You can use it without a picture of yourself, you don't need to have any "friends" come to your page, you don't need to "like" any pages you don't choose to. It seems safe enough.
I urge you to give it a good go to use as a tool to keep up with the news of our NZ orienteers at the overseas events. That's all I use it for.

You do know it is good for your brain to be doing new things ... give facebook a try if you have an email address. You need a password and maybe a buddy to get you the most security.
Come on David Fisher, I want to see your name join the NZ Sec. Schools facebook group by the time thye get home. Facebook gives you a generic shadow photo at first ... but I bet you'll have a picture of something instead by the end of the week. You lead the way and maybe we'll get a whole lot more older than Michael added to the group to see the results coming through.
Once you get to NZ Secondary School Orienteering Team page after searching you have to click th ask to be added to the group. Someone at that end will add you. Then you get to see the photos. Anyone else want to try .. email me jane.tasc@xtra.co.nz if you get stuck.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 26 September 2012, 3:21 AM  
Where's the "Like" button for that last message?

Show Profile  hughff Posted: 26 September 2012, 9:00 AM  
The trouble I have with Facebook, Jane, is not what it takes to do it but what I have to give up.

You say that I can clamp down on my pages, which is all well and good if I'm being stalked by a homicidal ex-pupil. But to my knowledge, I'm not.

What I am being stalked by are a large group of companies whose goal it is to part me from my money. (I am far too good at that already to want to encorage more.) Facebook has not a qualm in the world about selling my data to them - indeed it is their entire business model. And because of that, FB will not let you clamp down on that.

Interestingly, just today the Privacy Commissioner commented on how very bad we are in New Zealand at protecting ourselves from this both individually and as a nation. Our laws are weak and seldom applied. There's an article here if you want to read it: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10836544 .

It is quite scary the amount of information that has been gathered and can be purchased about you. If you can't be bothered clicking the link, it has actual maps that can be used to identify specific properties (some of our Auckland readers will be able to find themselves and their neighbours shown) and some pretty specific details about their socio-economic status, income and habits.

If you want to use FB, go ahead. I'm not trying to talk you out of it and I realise that it has a large number of practical and convenient applications. At the same time, the concern that The Map Guy raised on the other Aussie Schools thread ( http://www.maptalk.co.nz/forum/topic.cfm?t=2042 ) about your FB page being closed is valid. If the page was public then those of us who don't want to sell ourselves to an information broker would be able to see the photos too. We know that you can do that because on the same thread Alan Horn posted a link to Orineteering Australia's public FB page which is full of photos that I can see.

Of course, if you don't want to do that, then I'll continue to wait for the results to be posted on the official site and I'll continue to miss out on the photos and I'll continue to be disappointed by that.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 September 2012, 11:25 AM  
Well done team, especially the juniors, leading throughout!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 September 2012, 11:30 AM  
Hardly worth enquiring about what the State and Southern Cross scores were, but the lack of any mention on the website is an omission surely. But maybe its staring me in the face.

Of course if this was New Zealand we wouldn't have it either. Teachers would refuse to publish league tables...

This message was edited by Michael on 26 September 2012, 6:34 PM

Show Profile  PhillipH Posted: 26 September 2012, 12:08 PM  
After the relays, the 2 top two were...

61 Points NZ
54 Points Tasmania

Show Profile  PhillipH Posted: 26 September 2012, 12:13 PM  
From Callums post...

Another extremely successful day for the team - 1st in all the relays but the senior girls (4th). In the three we grades won, they were all comfortable wins. Junior Girls won by 19min, junior boys just over 10min and Tim came in confidently with 8 minutes to spare over the tassies. The Senior girls course turned out to be longer than the expected winning times and all three clocked times over an hour. A great round of results to round off perhaps our most successful aussie schools ever.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 September 2012, 3:41 AM  
Thanks Phillip. Given the dominance of NZ I was expecting the next state to be miles back, with the points split over the larger eastern states. But Tasmania (pop 500,000) is punching WELL above its weight. In the relays for example: three 2nds and a 3rd. Wouldn't hurt to look at what they are doing.

Show Profile  PhillipH Posted: 27 September 2012, 4:21 AM  
Posted some public accessible - non facebook ( requires link below ) photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114218269315884019204/AusSchools2012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLuJpMPekNvqPQ&feat=directlink

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 27 September 2012, 4:26 AM  
How much home town advantage would be applicable to Tasmania's results?

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz