maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Organisational Topics

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 September 2012, 5:05 AM  
This is a place to discuss things around the general organisation of events (big and small) that are not relaated to the mapping, the courses, or SI, for which there are other threads.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 September 2012, 5:26 AM  
Isn't it time we threw away the business about extra payments to NZOF for non-affiliated people at major events?

The typical person who would not be a member of a club would be a newcomer or perhaps you are hosted by a friend or relative when you are away from home and you bring them along. Paying around $20 for a kid or $30-40 for an adult is plain ridiculous.

The approach I would suggest is that a non-championship event take place at the same time and place as the major event, with no classes, just a set of courses like at a club event. Perhaps just the orange, yellow and white ones. At an event I attended recently, such recreational orienteers had a separate lane at the start, they just rocked up any time within a certain period, got a map, and away they went. I'm note sure if I would keep the pre-entry discount but certainly I would expect most entries on the day.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 April 2013, 4:36 AM  
I wonder if those provisions about sending info to clubs about major events need review. The "8 weeks before entries close" was probably written in the days of club magazines. At any rate I can't recall anything like this in our "incoming correspondence" for ages.

Its good that the QB events don't seem to require pre-entry, maybe all major events could move onto this model:-))

Show Profile  cmevents Posted: 22 April 2013, 5:25 AM  
Information and entry forms are on the club website. http://qb2013.cmoc.co.nz/

Online entry to come, watch this space.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 April 2013, 6:13 AM  
Ooooh that was quick, heh heh.

Show Profile  cmevents Posted: 22 April 2013, 7:16 AM  
Customising the online entry for each event takes time, bring on Eventor!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 November 2013, 5:21 AM  
Just thinking about Parkrun which is a free thing that runs on volunteers, some software, online once-only registration, and you just turn up. Could we get some types of nav events down to this level of simplicity? I'm thinking that our Q&A rogaines might be that simple if we put the maps and questions online and said "print your own, turn up and run, and write your score on this chart when you get back". Could it work for a park event with sequence courses? See www.parkrun.co.nz

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 November 2013, 6:34 AM  
As long as there is a quality orienteering challenge then why not. Who needs results at all.

It is a step too far though when we start compromising on map and course quality (eg p-max). Then we start affecting the reputation and brand of our sport.

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 13 November 2013, 2:49 PM  
That's a nice idea Michael. I don't think I'd personally turn up very often for this type of orienteering event & I enjoy score type events. Sounds like it would be very easy navigating - more so than a summer series event.

In terms of the Park-run concept. I love them, turn up every Saturday at Cornwall Park for my run - volunteered twice. All you need is your barcode & to enjoy yourself. The coffee is great afterwards. The social side is one of real positive things about Park-run (and it's free)!

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 31 December 2013, 2:56 AM  
What happened to Routegadget?

http://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_907537

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz