maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

WOC

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 5 September 2012, 12:46 PM  
I was discussing with Warren Key while at Oringen this year, and we both think there is a ridiculous obsession with WOC by down under orienteers.

Some go over for only 1 race and only a small chance of making a final, and I think it is a waste of time and money. Multiday events like Oringen, Sorlandscallopen, Croatia, Slovenia, etc will give a heap more races, a heap more fun, and a heap more experience, so why not go every 2nd year for 4-8 weeks and get all the races you can, and probably have a lot more fun.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 5 September 2012, 1:10 PM  
Don't worry Rob, if the IOF get their way, NZ will barely have a team at WOC soon. The new proposals with no qualifications will probably mean that only the very best get to run (apart from sprint where there still will be quals). This will of course kill the relay because few countries will send 3 runners only to run one race; not that this will bother NZ which doesn't really have a relay culture anyway.

[Am feeling particularly cynical this morning ;-P]

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 20 September 2012, 12:26 PM  
On a less cynical note...

I had a chat with 'Foot-O Committee member Blair Trewin the other day. He hopes that the removal of qualification races will not have an effect on relay participation numbers. I disagreed with him. If he is not prepared to stand up for weaker nations in this respect then I'd say that avenue is closed and the proposal will almost certainly happen.

But cynically speaking, if we do have a team some years, maybe we'll now get a better result!

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 21 September 2012, 8:52 PM  
Cynicism, I like it! Let's try facetiousness: I reckon that orienteers from down-under have a ridiculous obsession with down-under, why not live in Europe? There's always the option to return to NZ every few years to get their fix of pies & fish'n' chips etc.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 September 2012, 1:27 AM  
If it is harder to qualify for the World Champs then it is a more worthy challenge. Those that get there would have earned it.

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 22 September 2012, 3:56 PM  
^like ^challenge accepted!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz