maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

SuperSeries 2003

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 February 2003, 3:47 PM  
National Orienteering Squad members will have had an email by now confirming details of the Superseries. This is to try and reach others as the series is open to all entrants in M and W21E in the 9 events. And there are also people who follow and appreciate the efforts of high performance athletes while not being such themselves.

There is a preliminary Superseries website hanging off the MAPsport website at www.mapsport.co.nz, look under "guest websites" for "Superseries". This contains details of the events and slots for other stuff to be filled in when available, including athlete details.

Best regards, Michael Wood
MAPsport Services for NZOF

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 February 2003, 3:08 AM  
It is extremely pleasing to announce a substantial grant from the NZ Community Trust, which will help national squad members travel to the superseries events.

The superseries website (Link) reports,"Although the athletes still face considerable personal costs, the grant for air and interisland ferry travel will overcome a major obstacle, and will increase fields and intensify competition. The NZ Community Trust distributes profits from gaming machines, with over three quarters going to amateur sport. "

Now over to you guys. I hope you're all going to round 1 in Canterbury. And how about some discussion on those regional names? The last three (now four) postings on this thread have been from me!

Michael Wood

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 February 2003, 4:33 AM  
Hey congrats Michael, thats looking great

How about the Southern Gales

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 25 February 2003, 5:24 AM  
How about the Southern Gals???

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 25 February 2003, 12:54 PM  
Superseries names:

Given there are three regions, I would have thought it obvious to name teams Northern, Central, Southern. Should satisfy those outside Auckland/Wellington who don't want to be associated with either city.

Next to come up with nicknames.

Northern Knights
Central Raiders
Southern Stags

Although not original, they actually sound like sports teams.

Or you could go with an orienteering theme:

Northern Navigators
Central Foresters (sponsorship by Subaru?)
Southern Spurs

Or, how about:

Northern Pigs (team captain Brent)
Central Cowcockies (team captain Karl)
Southern Sheepshaggers (team captain Jamie)

Finally, great news about the community trust funding. Not wanting to NZOF chestbeat too much, but one of the reasons we contracted MJW to manage the series was to actively source funding. I'm glad its happened - thanks Michael.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 March 2003, 5:43 PM  
If there has been much serious discussion about the names for the regional teams in the supersries it hasn't reached me yet. The series will kick off in less than three weeks, so this is to advise that I'll decide the names next Monday 24 March with whatever opinions I have at that stage. It would help me if a participant from each region could give me a suggestion that has the support of a majority of national squad members in that region.

Michael Wood, SS Manager

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 20 March 2003, 8:19 AM  
Northern Needles
Central Clippers
Southern Spike

Show Profile  bendover Posted: 24 March 2003, 1:15 PM  
northern no-mates
central credentials
southern poofters

Username

Password

Register