maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

2013 South Island Champs

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 26 January 2013, 8:41 AM  
Are you sure it was a middle today?

Don't understand the need for 5 year age grades, and would much rather see splits by course not class, as would the competitors, I'm sure. Well, not all of them!!!

Never seen so many huge errors from good orienteers. Hope the map was fair.

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 26 January 2013, 10:19 AM  
Winning times are very long for a middle. Given the number of competitors, Rob has a point about 5 yr age classes not being necessary.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 26 January 2013, 10:52 AM  
I hear the area was low viz and very tricky, and map was fine, so forget my negative conatation.

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 26 January 2013, 1:58 PM  
Middle Results

http://www.obasen.nu/winsplits/online/en/default.asp?page=classes&databaseId=24136

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 26 January 2013, 3:23 PM  
Middle, Thankyou to Oystein.
http://okvaal.com/maps/show_map.php?user=oystein&map=282
Wow so technical, wish I was there

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 28 January 2013, 12:06 AM  
Awesome weekend, one of my favorite orienteering locations ever! Superb terrain, great maps, excellent swimming and pretty views.

The middle was not that far off the right length if we just orienteered a bit better. It would have been a shame to have it any shorter on such great map. (And Brent would have beaten me )

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 28 January 2013, 12:18 PM  
Many thanks to all the competitors for coming and trying our unique little part of New Zealand orienteering. Good news is that this is just the start. The area on the maps Oystein has uploaded represents about half of what is available to us to map. Look out for new areas to be developed over next few years!

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 29 January 2013, 1:06 PM  
Long map and courses just posted on www.routechoice.co.nz

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 31 January 2013, 10:32 AM  
That was awesome - like many others I am excited about next time, and determined to do better. How about an event centre next to the river?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 February 2013, 7:38 AM  
Thanks for RG Michael. Would be good to have the SI Middle too, not to mention the other Oceania maps there. But I can't honestly suggest that busy course planners should make this a priority when so few people put their routes in.

May I ask why people don't find it as interesting as I do, to extend the entertainment value of an event by comparing routes? Not to mention the training value. Is it too hard to put your route in? Do you use other methods? Do you prefer to switch off when you go home?

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 3 February 2013, 8:42 AM  
I guess the reason I don't bother anymore is probably twofold. One, noone else was bothering so I was comparing myself to myself - so a great big waste of time. Two. It is actually a pretty unfriendly programme. If you don't have a GPS track, you have to remember where you went and, if you had a messy run (like I do frequently), it's just to hard to accurately plot. With a GPS track I found myself spending excessive amounts of time trying to move the route to match the course.
So I don't bother anymore and probably wont consider starting again unless it becomes easier to use.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 3 February 2013, 11:31 AM  
I'd started uploading the Oceania events, but after the first two days it became difficult to track down the latest version of courses, and OCAD version compatability also became an issue.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 February 2013, 2:42 PM  
...you have to remember where you went. Part of the pleasure for me, and part of the value.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 February 2013, 2:36 AM  
I always enjoy beating Pete, didn't even raise a sweat.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz