maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

WOC and WOUC teams?

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 5 May 2012, 3:18 AM  
I was wondering when the teams are going to be made public....would like to congratulate those that got into the above teams.....is it on another site?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 May 2012, 3:34 AM  
actually I was just coming here to raise pretty much that exact same question... thanks Val for also raising it! We can't have both missed it can we?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 5 May 2012, 5:32 AM  
Can I join your group? My therapist needs to know.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 5 May 2012, 8:26 AM  
A list of names was published, but not disciplines. It was sent to clubs

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 5 May 2012, 8:36 AM  
These are the names we got sent:

World Orienteering Championships 2012
The New Zealand team to compete at the World Orienteering Championships for 2012 in Lausanne, Switzerland on the July 14-21, 2012, is as follows:

Men:
Tane Cambridge Peninsula & Plains
Ross Morrison Hawkes Bay
Matt Ogden North West
Tom Reynolds North West
Tim Robertson Hutt Valley
Toby Scott Auckland

Women:
Lizzie Ingham Wellington
Greta Knarston Counties Manukau
Amber Morrison Hawkes Bay
Kate Morrison Hawkes Bay
Angela Simpson Bay of Plenty

World University Orienteering Champs 2012
The New Zealand team to compete at the World University Orienteering Championships for 2012 in Alicante, Spain  June 30th to July 7th, 2012, is as follows:

Men:
Gene Beveridge North West
Jourdan Harvey Counties Manukau
Simon Jager Auckland
Toby Scott Auckland

Women:
Greta Knarston Counties Manukau
Kate Morrison Hawkes Bay
Imogene Scott Auckland
Angela Simpson Bay of Plenty
Georgia Whitla Peninsula & Plains

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 May 2012, 9:28 AM  
thank you Allan!

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 5 May 2012, 11:29 AM  
Congrats to ALL and commiserations to Ross not making the WUOC.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 5 May 2012, 12:05 PM  
It would be nice to know who runs what.

I've heard that Greta gets 4 races at WOC and Kate 1, despite there being only a small difference between them at Nationals. Seems odd especially as doing all 4 is such a tough ask, plus the schedule this year is tighter than is usual.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 5 May 2012, 12:29 PM  
Why isn't Ross doing the WUOC?

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 5 May 2012, 12:48 PM  
He's living in Finland so is a bit out of the loop and missed the deadline for putting his name forward and even tho the team had not been announced and he tried to rectify the situation they said no, seems a shame as why wouldnt you put your best person in a team? I wonder if Theirry had a girlfriend in NZ and was living here, would the French Orienteering leave him out cause he didnt have his name in by a certain time....surely they would try and contact him as to why.....????

Show Profile  James Posted: 5 May 2012, 4:41 PM  
They left Ross out of the team because he hasn't had very good results in the past.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 May 2012, 2:45 AM  
So Tane, Ross, how does it feel to be the old fellas in the team? ;-)

And I've heard that Matt isn't doing WOC after all - can we get this confirmed?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 6 May 2012, 6:55 AM  
I can understand having to put names forward for World Uni Champs, as there are specific eligibility criteria and it would be a big ask for anyone to work out a list of who was eligible.

Surely there can be some flexibility in the nominations though, especially given the lack of a website and a big reliance on emails being spread by clubs. I don't see the same strictness applied to the timely naming of teams.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 6 May 2012, 7:12 AM  
I note from the WUOC website the following.
General Entries: 02.01.2012
Quantitative Entries: 02.04.2012
Nominative Entries: 02.06.2012
Perhaps only 4 men put their names forward before the 2 April cutoff. If this was the case then Ross would need to bump one of those that put their hand up before the cut-off. Seems as a special case could be applied for to the organisers given each country is allowed up to 6 men and 6 women. Given that though only 4 men can compete in the middle and long and only 3 in the sprint. So Ross would be bumping someone from one or all three of the disciplines.
There appears no easy answer here.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 6 May 2012, 8:00 AM  
From what I have heard Ross put his name forward late but before they had announced to anyone a WUOC team. I guess they didn't put Ross in as a case of standards and don't want to make special considerations. I guess that avoids and confusion in the future. Just a shame it goes against the part in the policy regarding the selection panel naming the strongest team possible. You can see why both parties feel the way they do but let's look at the positives, Ross can concentrate on WOC completely now.

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 7 May 2012, 1:19 AM  
and to onemanfanclub yes Matt has withdrawn for WOC. I think it is because he thinks its too much of an ask to compete at JWOC all week and expect to run the sprint qual within 24 hours of the jwoc relay in another country. Woulda been good to see him race in it though.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz